my string dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my string dilemma

I am having a problem deciding what strings to use and I am looking for some advice. My band tunes to Drop C.

I currently have my soloist setup with the Zakk Wylde 10-60 GHS Boomers tuned to drop C. Lots of tension on the low end and lots of extra chug while still being able to play the higher string comfortably... works pretty well for me but pinch harmonics are not as easy to do on the lower strings and my picking is not as clean when I play faster.

I got my LTD (thanks UPS!) today. It has 10-46 something or others on it and it is tuned to standard E. Pinch Harmonics are much easier and I can pick cleaner. Obviously I can not tune to drop C with 10-46 strings. The strings will flop like the fish in the Faith No More video for their tune "Epic".

I am thinking I should try a lighter gauge on the lower strings like a 10-56. That may sacrifice a little of the heavy chug but I think being able to pick cleaner is worth it. DR makes a set of strings like that.

What do you guys think? Has anyone experienced anything like this?
    Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
    The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

I normally use GHS Boomers 10-46 for E or Eb. 11-48 Ernie Ball Power Slinky or DR High Beam 11-50 are what I use for D and Drop C.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I use the Ernie Ball 10-52 hybrid set for stuff like that. I think the 52 is plenty heavy for C tuning.

Comment

Originally posted by Thor Von Clemson View Post
        What do you guys think? Has anyone experienced anything like this?
        Yup, it is harder to produce squeals on thicker guage strings. It's not impossible...you just need to adapt your technique a bit. I've found that I can't choke down as much on the pick anymore. A lighter touch is in order, and be careful of exactly where you hit the string. It's difficult for me, since I pick rather hard. I discovered it when I went from 010-046 in E, to 011-052 in D. Gone were the squeals on the 6th string.

I have since gone on to even thicker strings; 012-054 (still D, but on short scale). I also think that the pickups can make a big difference, since I've had better success with the 012 set through the mid-range heavy Duncan Distortion - vs. the 011 through the rather flat DiMarzio X2N.

Btw, Charvel 750XL + DD + .012 strings in D == Killer tone!
        The guitar is damn loud now - I may be delusional, but it feels like I get more gain out of the pickup.
        Last edited by Sunbane; 11-20-2006, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
          Yup, it is harder to produce squeals on thicker guage strings. It's not impossible...you just need to adapt your technique a bit. I've found that I can't choke down as much on the pick anymore. A lighter touch is in order, and be careful of exactly where you hit the string. It's difficult for me, since I pick rather hard. I discovered it when I went from 010-046 in E, to 011-052 in D. Gone were the squeals on the 6th string.

I have since gone on to even thicker strings; 012-054 (still D, but on short scale). I also think that the pickups can make a big difference, since I've had better success with the 012 set through the mid-range heavy Duncan Distortion - vs. the 011 through the rather flat DiMarzio X2N.

Btw, Charvel 750XL + DD + .012 strings in D == Killer tone!
          The guitar is damn loud now - I may be delusional, but it feels like I get more gain out of the pickup.
          Sunbane, när tjacka du 750XL:n? Jag hade en på g nått år sen, men det blev nåt strul med mailen, så den såldes till nån annan. Jävligt fina gitarrer! Va betala du?

Comment

Originally posted by Thoraby View Post
            Sunbane, när tjacka du 750XL:n? Jag hade en på g nått år sen, men det blev nåt strul med mailen, så den såldes till nån annan. Jävligt fina gitarrer! Va betala du?
            Sent you a PM.

Comment

for years i used 10-54 in standard, dropped D, and D Standard and Dropped C tunings. i loved the fat strings and how they felt and sounded. then i started developing Carpal Tunnel and for the sake of my wrists i decided to go down in sizes after i tuned my RR3 down to B with 11-54 strings. theyre light, but not too bad, and i liked the way they felt. so i went with 9-48 for my standard etc. axes.

so, truth be told, you can play any size strings in nearly any tuning (i know of a guy who plays 9-42 in drop A...yup, drop A!) and does just fine. id go to 10-52 and check that out and see how it works in Dropped C. should be about perfect.
              My metal band Lucian Scott
              Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
              Available Now!
              New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
                Not more gain, more output. You have more metal disrupting the magnetic field around the pickup = more electricity generated. Pickups are electricity generators.

Comment

I played the Zakk 10-60s for a while, and switched back to 10-52s this week (I used them for years). Weird to get used to the lower gauge. FTR, my band tunes to D.
                  Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

Even though I try to be as lighthanded as I can, I will still pull chords sharp on light strings - especially right after changing from one chord to another. It's particularly difficult if combined with intense chugging on the right hand. I wish I could be more lighthanded...that alone would probably raise my playing a notch.

Comment

I use 11-48 (Ernie Ball Power Slinkys)...
                      I have once tried to tune them to C and it was quite nice...
                      They are best for E and D( Drop D)...
                      It`s good to practice or play on a acoustic so you get
                      pretty much really comfortable on thicker strings...
                      Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

I mix everything up, as I never really put a fresh pack on, I just slap on whatever string breaks ... I think i'm using a 13 for my high E, B and G strings Works fine for me, since that's the guitar I go to drop C to noodle around with.. Give it a shot
                        DIVIDE THIS LAND | DIRTY 'N' HEAVY, SERVED PIPING HOT

Comment

Like others have said, people can make about anything work. Iommi used EXTREMELY light gauge strings for C# tuning. Dino from Fear Factory used a 49 for his low A, I believe.

I'd get along fine with 10-46 for drop C myself. But to further complicate the issue, brands/models do vary. I have a Strat that had Fender pure nickel 9-42s on it. I switched over to D'Addario Nickelwound 9-42s and the tension was way less. Enough that I had to readjust the trem springs.

Comment

My King V in in C standard, with a set of Dean Markley Jazz strings on it. 12 to 56 I think. Really thick and hard to get used to bends on leads, but it's a good workout and gets easier with time.
                            THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

Working...
                            X