Vibrato on bends on a Jackson neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vibrato on bends on a Jackson neck

I have some problem doing vibrato on full step bends on my SL2H, as compared with my Strat. I think it's due to the greater width of the fretboard, string spacing and nut width. In anchoring my thumb on the top of the neck I don't feel like I have enough leverage to keep the bend in pitch; somehow it feels like my hands are too small. Anyone else have the same problem?

I have large hands and I am more comfortable on a Medium to Slim C style neck - like a Strat neck. I found I prefer bolt ons to neck throughs for lead and soloing..

Worst are thin necks. Had an SL2 and it was just too thin for me to get a good anchor with my hand when doing vibrato. Had an Ibanez JEM - Wizard neck - yuck!

I have to have some meat on the neck. It is better for vibrato and I think also adds tone to the guitar. I have also found thinner necks being faster or more of a shred neck is a myth.
    PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Originally posted by shredmonster View Post
      I have large hands and I am more comfortable on a Medium to Slim C style neck - like a Strat neck. I found I prefer bolt ons to neck throughs for lead and soloing..

Worst are thin necks. Had an SL2 and it was just too thin for me to get a good anchor with my hand when doing vibrato. Had an Ibanez JEM - Wizard neck - yuck!

I have to have some meat on the neck. It is better for vibrato and I think also adds tone to the guitar. I have also found thinner necks being faster or more of a shred neck is a myth.
      +1

Thinner necks=shredding is definately a myth. I mean look at Yngwie or Eric Johnson.

@Threadstarter: I have trouble to with vibrato on my jackson dinky. I find myself using the whammy bar for vibrato a lot, which is cheating.

Comment

I have no problem bending with vibrato on thin Jackson necks, but then I don't anchor my thumb at the top of the neck. My jacksons are 80's era strats. They don't have particularly wide fretboards like some of the newer models, and they are generally on the thin side. One of them is a bit beefier than the others, and if anything I find that less comfortable.

Comment

The neck on the JCF01 RRs was huge - like a Classical - and it was the fastest neck I've ever had for scalar runs.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

The only time I have ever found a thicker neck to be a problem is if you are really really spreading out your fingers to cover multiple frets over a wide span doing 4 finger type scalar runs.

Then it can be difficult. But I found the 4 finger stuff is hard to use with most music and you have to play it so fast you get no tone really so I don't find it practical to use anyway.
            PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

I don't have that problem. Did you just get your SL2H? I know it doesn't answer your question directly but I would give yourself time to adjust

I do have a Fender Musicmaster with a nice narrow neck I would trade if doesn't
              work out!!!

Comment

Working...
              X