Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you learn to improvise or do you teach yourself?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you learn to improvise or do you teach yourself?

hey
    i was just wandering if improvising was somthing you are born with or if its somthing you learn

chris
    Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
    Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

I was born with my albilty..no lessons, no theory and I never learn cover songs..I dedicated my entire musical life creating my own chops ..on bass and guitar..

I can learn shit if I wanted to and have while in a VH tribute or playing session shit for my side project..but that is not where my heart is..not at all

I have my favorite players..they inspire me big time..but I take what I want from them and put my spin on in..in my original stuff.

I don't see a point learning what was already created by someone esle note for note..at the end of the day all you did was copy something..even be it a good one..and that's cool to see in a cover band..I don't do that. Other than my old VH trib..but that wasn't any real "work" for me..not at all.

I'd much rather invest that time in creating my own music..and I do that well...Because that's ALL I do.

Bill Z Bub
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

first of all you must have the talent to become good at it.

you can't be a good improviser right away, you have to play and play and play as much as possible, jamming along with different types of music, discovering what works and what does not....it's all trial and error....it's the only way really...and paying attention to chord changes is also important, knowing what to play over each chord and how to use passing tones and whatnot is a good skill.

Also if you do everything right (like avoid tabulatures and shit like that) your ear develops all the time. And when you have played for many many years, your inner ear is so good that when you improvise you hear the notes/melodies in your head and apply them to the guitar...it's like a warp speed composing.

But most of the guitar players will never be good at jazz improvisation, it's totally different language and you have to be very very talented to do that. But that doesn't mean you can't be good in other forms of music.
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

The key thing in my experience is to always be playing against something, whether that's a CD, the radio, TV or your band. Improvising started for me in all of these ways. A good way is to work out someone else's riff or song, because in the process of working stuff out, you make mistakes trying to find the right notes and sometimes end up with your own, similar riff (Jake E Lee, Lightning Strikes). I don't think anyone is born with this skill, I believe it's something you pick up with practice and application and the right environment (playing to music), like speech, accents and so on. I remember being scared of stepping forward for solo's, now you can't stop me, though you'd want to...

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
          Also if you do everything right (like avoid tabulatures and shit like that) your ear develops all the time. .
          I agree totally with the tab thing. I think tab's a great aid, but you are in danger of ending up with industry standard, generic vibrato, pinch harmonics etc.

Comment

How does tab give you bad vibrato.

Comment

The thing about learning covers is that it gives you a vocabulary. Hear something you like? Figure it out and then mutate it to your own ends. It's great to learn covers IMHO because it pulls you out of your comfort zone and makes you explore avenues or techniques that you may have not developed on your own.

I really enjoy doing improv solos live - especially if I'm in the 'zone' where it seems like you are just a conduit and the music is coming out of you. I know that sounds all new age and stuff, but it's the truth - sometimes when I play it's like I'm watching it happen. Really fun.

Bottom line whether you do covers or blaze your own trail is to PLAY. Play with records. Play on your own. Jam with buddies, get in a band. Just play as much as you can and things will come together.

Pete

Comment

Put some music on and jam, jam, jam, jam, jam ...
                So you get a feeling for it
                Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

Originally posted by slash-ed View Post
                  How does tab give you bad vibrato.
                  I didn't say bad vibrato. What I mean is, tab is very clinical. When listening to a piece of music and attempting to work it out, I'm influenced by the style and technique, which in turn becomes part of my playing. A bit like learning French or German from text; you'll end up technically proficient, but your accent won't be developed.

Comment

yea ivebeen able to improvise since i started learning, i try tokeep away from tab but some times i need to have a quick glance to seeifim on theright track
                    Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
                    Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

What one person can do, so can another. Might take the second person a longer time to get the same result, but it's possible. Except if the first person is Shawn Lane. Then you're fucked.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoraby View Post
                        What one person can do, so can another. Might take the second person a longer time to get the same result, but it's possible. Except if the first person is Shawn Lane. Then you're fucked.

Shawn Lane stuff but, it`s true

Improvisation comes from playing stuff that "you have in your head"
                        and just try to say it with your guitar...
                        And you will find ways to do that...
                        Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

My band improv's quite a bit at practice when we're done with business, its one of the main ways we come up with parts for songs. As far as improv soloing goes, suffice it to say, it becomes alot easier to do after you've learned a few keys, a few licks, and just generally are able to relax and convey the melody you are hearing in your head.

Oh yah, did I mention it helps to know a few keys?
                          www.myspace.com/madeaband
                          www.garageband.com/artist/madea

Comment

Actually everyone had a good point so far..

Do your thing, put your heart into it and do it well..and just PLAY..

Most important thing to me is ..the desire to play..ya need that!!
                            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

My problem has always been improvising. I can write a great solo, but when put on the spot, I'm a lame duck.

I will say this to Pete's point though, I have never been a better player since being in a cover band. Learning songs and solos has made me a better player as it adds (to quote pete) to my vocabulary.

The more you learn and play, the easier improvising gets.
                              "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X