Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• playing standing up

any tips with this?

i really suck playing standing up, im a little better when i hold the guitar higher and look like an asshole, is the trick just to play and lower it little by little?

thanks

Looking like an asshole? assholiness is an attitude not a look young grasshopper.Don't worry about how cool you look just kick ass.Practice both ways until you find your spot don't worry what everyone else is doing.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Practice and it will get easier. I remember I had a real hard time when I first started playing while standing up, then it got easier. Now even playing at home, I play standing up 80% of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by prizrak View Post
        any tips with this?

i really suck playing standing up, im a little better when i hold the guitar higher and look like an asshole, is the trick just to play and lower it little by little?

thanks

Are you sure you don't like an asshole all the time?

I had the same problem and I play with the strap jacked up pretty high. Over time I have lowered it some but I just accept it and play that way. Get over it and just be an asshole.
        http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

hah

thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
            Practice and it will get easier. I remember I had a real hard time when I first started playing while standing up, then it got easier. Now even playing at home, I play standing up 80% of the time.
            Same for me. I actually find playing standing up more fun.

Comment

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
              Same for me. I actually find playing standing up more fun.
              +1. ...and it is more comfortable.

I think if you want a guitar that looks like it sits lower than it really does, consider the Jackson Warrior models. They have the strings real close to the top edge of the body.

Comment

I'm more so concerened with technique than looks but for those who are...just practice standing up, thats what I always did. Also gradually lowering the strap a bit every week...before you know it you'll be banging 5 chords from the knees with the best of em
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

Sully used to give me a hard time because I wear my guitar high, but who cares...it is better for your hands if you are comfortable playing like that, and I didnt feel so bad because most of my friends do it too. But I wear it lower when i play bass...

Comment

Hey man... I was in your position about a year ago. The way that I solved it was that I left straps attached the the guitars and wore them while sitting down. The key is that you cannot lean back, the guitar cannot be sitting on your leg, and keep your head up. After you get use to it, stand up.

Personally, I found a nice black USA Rhoads that I loved but, I couldn't play it sitting down. So, I bought it specifically to make myself play standing up.

I hate to use the term "Play with your strap on." It sounds so fucked up.

-Nate
                    Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

Originally posted by nateb View Post
                      I hate to use the term "Play with your strap on." It sounds so fucked up.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
                        I'm more so concerened with technique than looks but for those who are...just practice standing up, thats what I always did. Also gradually lowering the strap a bit every week...before you know it you'll be banging 5 chords from the knees with the best of em
                        Exactly, I used to play with the damn guitar up under my chin when I started. At one point years ago I decided to move the strap buckle down 1 inch every 2 weeks. Eventually I got it down to wear it's comfortable, not hard on my wrist, and I don't look like it's an oversize pendant on a necklace.
                        My Toys:
                        '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
                        '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
                        '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
                        '94 Dinky HX in Black
                        '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

I only play guitar running around nowadays haha. My katana is very light and I just run up and down the room all the time haha

I think the key is to find a comfortable hight for the guitar.. so that both your hands are in a natural position.
                          "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

I find that if the guitar is too low my wrist starts to hurt after a bit. What I did was sit down and have the guitar in a comfortable position, and then adjust the strap to match that height. It's a tad higher than some players, but if you look at the good shredders, their guitars are always a bit higher up anyway.
                            Scott

Comment

Originally posted by AfterForever View Post
                              I only play guitar running around nowadays haha. My katana is very light and I just run up and down the room all the time haha

is that to avoid the tomatoes aimed at your Katana?
                              Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                              X