No announcement yet.

playing standing up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dude don't worry about having your guitar high up. Adam from Killswitch wears his way above his belt buckle ahaha

Comment

yea, but Adam likes to show off his Daisy Dukes while he plays
      Hail yesterday

Comment

playing hiked up is the 'cool' thing
        look at tom morello ... he plays hgih up, and he doesnt look 'stupid'
        feeling comfortable > looks

Comment

Originally posted by TinTin8 View Post
          look at tom morello ... he plays hgih up, and he doesnt look 'stupid'
          yea he does
          Hail yesterday

Comment

I'd say find a position that is comfortable for you standing up and play like that regardless of how it looks. It will seem more natural to you and anyone you are playing to.

I had a teacher tell me you are supposed to play standing up the same way you play sitting down with your guitar position. It helps me a lot and while my guitar is somewhat high, I have found a comfortable natural looking position.

Hope that helps.
            Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
            The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Comment

The "trick" is to practice standing up if you want to be comfortable playing standing up. If you want the guitar to be low to look cool then put it there and practice that way for a couple weeks you will get used to it.

Comment

I always used to have the guitar really low. I played that way for years. It's no problem if you're only playing rhythms, but not very good if you also play leads.

Once I started getting serious about lead playing, I kept on struggling with the guitar way down, but finally relented and took it up to belt level. Huge improvment right away.

Comment

I think people who play guitar way down low look like Assholes 'cause, I know there just posers not players.

Comment

My bridge pickup is about where my belt buckle is when I'm playing. I always played standing up when I was younger. In the words of Dimebag, "you can't go to war sitting down". Even now, when I'm sitting, I still use a strap and let 'er hang. I stand at band practice, and obviously live, so why sit classical style or something when I'm noodling at home?
                    Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

Originally posted by maxboost View Post
                      I think people who play guitar way down low look like Assholes 'cause, I know there just posers not players.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
                        His arm could not even reach the bridge to do a palm mute. WTF, can he pick up his car keys and not even lean over?
                        Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

heh, i agree w/. all those pics
                          but page can play ... the others ... meh

Comment

Originally posted by TinTin8 View Post
                            heh, i agree w/. all those pics
                            but page can play ... the others ... meh
                            Uhhh Slash can't? I prefer to keep it just at my belt. You dont look like a dork but you can still play it.

Comment

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
                              Uhhh Slash can't? I prefer to keep it just at my belt. You dont look like a dork but you can still play it.
                              i dont think so. i have alot of hate for him
                              i tend to keep my guitar mid range ... belt area, up more maybe ... i've been switching aroudn w/ guitars & straps so i need to adjust to what feels good

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
                                That one really cracked me up!

I saw a punk band a few years ago, and one of their guitar players had his Les Paul down by his knees, just like that. How he managed to play that way through the entire set is beyond me - especially since you could see how he struggled to reach anything below the 6th string.

Oh well, it was punk rock.

Comment

Working...
                                X