3 Note per string scales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 Note per string scales

I just recently (at the pathetic age of 43) decided to start getting serious about increasing my speed and started to learn 3 note per string patterns and am just starting to get comfortable with them and can definitly feel the benefits.

who elses uses them or is learning them and what do you think??
    Last edited by tanpsi; 01-21-2007, 09:05 PM.

3 notes per string is good to nail alt. picking
    but you should venture off to other forms, learn economy picking ... i think it'll help you out aloy

Comment

You'll find that these 3 note per string, Diatonic scales. Are basically one in the same with alot of scales. To me they are daily practice inbetween riffs and songs to keep the fingers fluid. They'll build ya some strength.

Practice em, pick up a scale book and discover realitive scales. G major to E minor. Then you'll see your playing about everything, just changing the degrees.

Damn good place to start to me. Rock on man.

Comment

Originally posted by wakeUPdead View Post
        You'll find that these 3 note per string, Diatonic scales. Are basically one in the same with alot of scales. To me they are daily practice inbetween riffs and songs to keep the fingers fluid. They'll build ya some strength.

Practice em, pick up a scale book and discover realitive scales. G major to E minor. Then you'll see your playing about everything, just changing the degrees.

Damn good place to start to me. Rock on man.
        +1

Comment

+2
          "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Sounds like you've been a pentatonic player, diatonic scales are for the most part 3 notes per string. Being an odd number you will see your pick starting on the down, up, down, on each string ...As a kid this was tough but very slow practice works wonders for mechanics. As stated you can try economy picking by always starting down but many will tell you not to including Dimiola! But Gambale does it!
            Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Start slow as a snail first...and you will get fast a rabbit (*lol*) in no time
              Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

Gambale's economy speed picking over 3note/string scales was a treat to watch.
                I don't feel comfortable with it myself though - I stick to strict alternate picking no matter what I play.

Comment

scales = awesomeness, When I learned my modes and what not i just played them at different speeds on a metronome for a month and i got wayy better. its allso a great warm up cuz after u can just rip like no ones bussiness.

Comment

Working...
                  X