Rockabilly Picking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rockabilly Picking

Does anyone here know how to pick/fingerpick Rockabilly style? I'm trying to learn how to add finger picking while doing an alternating bass note picking pattern in the style of Rockabilly (Scotty Moore from Elvis style for example).

Thanks

Originally posted by rattojack View Post
    Does anyone here know how to pick/fingerpick Rockabilly style? I'm trying to learn how to add finger picking while doing an alternating bass note picking pattern in the style of Rockabilly (Scotty Moore from Elvis style for example).

Thanks

I just watched a good interview with Tommy Emmanuel on when he was learning Chet Atkins material, he started with a regular pick, but when he saw Chets album cover, it showed him using a thumb pick. He switched and said it made it easier for him do the alternating bass string thing. You can see the interview on youtube/google videos. He then went on to demonstrate the alternatining bass strings.
    Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

Originally posted by donf View Post
      I just watched a good interview with Tommy Emmanuel on when he was learning Chet Atkins material, he started with a regular pick, but when he saw Chets album cover, it showed him using a thumb pick. He switched and said it made it easier for him do the alternating bass string thing. You can see the interview on youtube/google videos. He then went on to demonstrate the alternatining bass strings.
      Yeah, plus 1. If you look at Brain Setzer's instructional video, he alternates between using a pick and his thumb which would suffice for a thumb pick. He shows it in detail in his video. I've tried it and it's not easy in how he flips the pick back in to his fingers to use his thumb and back. Atkins and Scotty Moore would be the guy's to look at too.
      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by rattojack View Post

Thanks

A good place to start would be the technique known as "Travis Picking".

Comment

Working...
        X