Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zakk... harmonic "Squeal"...also on the the new Killswitch song..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zakk... harmonic "Squeal"...also on the the new Killswitch song..?

Ok...someone tell me how to do it! Seems once you get it down, you
    can hit it anytime, anywhere on the neck? Like that first "Miracle Man"...where we first heard Zakk doing this? Enlighten me Obie wan~!

You let your thumb glide across the string when you pick it kind of almost like a muting sound but it will have a sharper pitch when you do it. You can do it on an acoustic to hear whats it going to sound like without the gain of an amplifier. Hitting the string harder, and in different places along the string will give you a different sound.

Sometimes you may have to dig in to get em to "quack" the way you want them to, but some might just be just a glide. Practice makes perfect man, don't over think it - just get in there and have fun with it.

Comment

It's easier to get them to sound on the natural harmonic frets, i.e. 3rd, 5th, 7th, etc
      Scott

Comment

Uh I guess I need some clarification. Are you talking about a bar drop and catchin a natural harmoinc? Or are you asking about the artifical harmonics you pinch out.

I answered about the artifical harmonic, because god knows when I think Zakk Wylde - I think artifical harmoinc.

Comment

Heck if i know? Not a normal harmonic...like on the 5th, 7th...
          whatever his signature squeal is? The one he uses after every
          other measure? Left hand? Or is it his picking thumb somehow?

Comment

it's his picking thumb. Choke up on the pick and dig in a little as you hit the string, so that the side of your thumb strikes the string at the same time as the pick. Try it in different places along the string and you'll find sweet spots, similar to the natural harmonic sweet spots at the 12th, 7th, 5th frets
            Hail yesterday

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                it's his picking thumb. Choke up on the pick and dig in a little as you hit the string, so that the side of your thumb strikes the string at the same time as the pick. Try it in different places along the string and you'll find sweet spots, similar to the natural harmonic sweet spots at the 12th, 7th, 5th frets

Very good G..My son just had his Jackson for a year and he's already squealing like Zakk, Dime and Sykes..and well me.

I can squeal every note on the guitar..even on a acoustic..this is true..
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                  I can squeal every note on the guitar..even on a acoustic..this is true..
                  As will Grasshopper Burns, when he discovers exactly how to do split harmonic sqeals, he won't be able to stop doing them, even when he knows he shouldn't be.
                  So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

i use my pinky, and when I did it for Chuck (Bloodsplatter) and GTRbuyer (tracy) when we all hooked up in Boston, they were cracking up from the sound i could get from squealing with the back of my pinky. It's the shit when it comes to screaming harmonics.
                    Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post
                      As will Grasshopper Burns, when he discovers exactly how to do split harmonic sqeals, he won't be able to stop doing them, even when he knows he shouldn't be.
                      Tell me about it..I squeal "too much"..Cleve John used to bitch at me.

I dunno, I like doin' 'em.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                        don't for get about the 3 1/2rd harmonic sweet spot.
                        "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                          Very good G..My son just had his Jackson for a year and he's already squealing like Zakk, Dime and Sykes..
                          Sykes is a badass pinch harmonic player ! Or he's a badass pinch harmonicer, if you wanna invent a word.
                          I'm not afraid to bleed, but I won't do it for you.

Comment

Sykes is the best when it comes to sqeals
                            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                              Sykes is the best when it comes to sqeals

He can certainly make Zakk blush..that's for certain.

Zakk cedits Sykes as a influence tho..so that cool.

Comment

Working...
                              X