Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zakk... harmonic "Squeal"...also on the the new Killswitch song..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by atomic charvel guy View Post
    i use my pinky, and when I did it for Chuck (Bloodsplatter) and GTRbuyer (tracy) when we all hooked up in Boston, they were cracking up from the sound i could get from squealing with the back of my pinky. It's the shit when it comes to screaming harmonics.

I'll be damned! I was just farting around & tried dragging my pinky around behind my thumb & index finger & that's pretty sweet. Totally different sound if you roll over & use the nail, too. More metallic sounding. Thanks, Tommy!

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
      it's his picking thumb. Choke up on the pick and dig in a little as you hit the string, so that the side of your thumb strikes the string at the same time as the pick.
      that's it.

it's quite easy once ya get the hang of it.
      the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
        I'll be damned! I was just farting around & tried dragging my pinky around behind my thumb & index finger & that's pretty sweet. Totally different sound if you roll over & use the nail, too. More metallic sounding. Thanks, Tommy!
        Anytime my good man. It's a tits sounding squeal when you hit it just right and shake the hell out of it. Keep practicing it that way and it'll be second nature soon.
        Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post
          As will Grasshopper Burns, when he discovers exactly how to do split harmonic sqeals, he won't be able to stop doing them, even when he knows he shouldn't be.
          *********Yep, as with effects...if it sounds good..then of course
          "More" must be better? I overdue everything!

Comment

Too truley get that sound you also have to shake the shit out of it!
            Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Originally posted by atomic charvel guy View Post
              Anytime my good man. It's a tits sounding squeal when you hit it just right and shake the hell out of it. Keep practicing it that way and it'll be second nature soon.
              I too use my pinky.. kind of where the nail and outside "meat" of the pinky are...
              I notice when doing it that way, if you cheat your picking hand up toards the neck a bit, you can get some MONSTER squeals...

Comment

If you need anymore insight, here's an instructional vid. It's the guys from SF. There's a section that Jon shows how to do 'em.

Matt and Jon from Shadows Fall demo warm up exercises, sweep picking, pinch harmonics, down-picking and more.
                My Main Rig:
                '87 Charvel Model 4A
                Peavey KB100 amp
                Ibanez SM7 Smashbox

Others:
                '92 Gibson Les Paul Custom
                '05 Ibanez RG320FM
                '86 Ovation Pinnacle
                '98 Synsonics Custom Strat
                '89 Kramer 700ST Bass

Comment

I usually get a better one up near the neck pick up.

And I squeal way too much. Hell, I even use em on chords on a couple strings to add something to the rhythm.

Going to try the pinky thing, although I play with my right hand open, fingers out. Not sure why, or if I should or shouldn't. I think I did it because I saw Randy do it in some video. Now that I think about it, it is probably what lets me lay my whole thumb out for multi-string quacks.

Hmm more things to try when I get home. Thanks!

Vass

Comment

Working...
                  X