Pinch harmonics (squeals) on an upstroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pinch harmonics (squeals) on an upstroke

I hate it when i want to do a pinch on a note but that note ends up on an upstroke. It's -much- harder to do. One of the following happens:

- i try to do it with the tip/nail of my index finger
    - i bend my thumb and try to do a pinch "normally" but from under the pick
    - i screwup the note and/or play it with a downstroke, and then "ad-lib" picking direction until there's a short break
    - i think to myself "ah fuck it" and just play the note natural

... anyone else?
    "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
    The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

ya, i can only get a half squeal going up. I keep trying and wondering if its possible, must be, but i can't figure out how to do it.

Comment

gently/lightly place your finger tip on the string and bend upwards as you pinch the string with your thumb and pick. it helps to have almost none of the pick petruding from your thumb and index finger.
      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

use your pinky like i do and you'll be floating on a cloud of titties pinching nipple harmonics like a motherfukker I promise.
        Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Originally posted by atomic charvel guy View Post
          use your pinky like i do and you'll be floating on a cloud of titties pinching nipple harmonics like a motherfukker I promise.

:ROTF::ROTF: Thats one of the best quotes ever

Comment

hhahah i just cheat and do a down stroke.

Comment

Let's see if I can explain this clearly...

On the upstroke, just before my pick goes across the string - or rather, at the same time as my pick hits the string - I touch the tip of my thumb against the string lightly. I hold it there momentarily as I pick the string, so I end up doing sort of a twisting motion but not enough to notice. I'm just sort of bending my thumb a little.
              This is actually how I learned to do pinch harmonics - since I was actually pinching the string a little it made more sense to me at first.
              I can't always get a monsterous squeal happening this way but usually good enough.

Comment

Working...
              X