Problem with middle & ring finger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with middle & ring finger

I've been doing some left & right hand excercises (the chromatic scales with metronome from John Petrucci's Rock discipline), but i have some problems at higher speeds (> 120 at 4 notes per beat).
    It seems that my 2 middle fingers of my left hand tend to move together unless i concentrate (but then i'm out rhythm). I read a bit about this on the internet (http://www.newscientist.com/backpage...mg19125672.800) and it seems that there is only 1 muscle for those 2 fingers, and some people tend to be able to move them independently more easily than others (genetics etc...).
    Now, since i have a hard time moving those fingers separately, are there specific exercises to improve on this, or am i just screwed genetically ?

As someone who recently got back in to guitar after pretty much a 15 year departure from the instrument.. everything I've read says to do everything slow, then once you can do that fine, increase the tempo.
    I would find out what speed you can comfortably do it with good form. Practice for a few days at that speed. Bump your tempo up a few bpm, try again. Repeat until you get there.. it should help train your fingers.

I can nowhere near play 120 bpm 4 notes per beat cleanly. I hope to work my way up there eventually using the technique I described above.
    DK2M
    Fender Strat (Made in USA)
    Epiphone Les Paul Classic Quilt Top

Comment

I'd isolate the two fingers and play excersises only using those two.

Comment

I use a Grip Master (light tension) at work to excercise my fingers.. and help them to operate independently on command. Its good for stress relief and I might as well keep my fingers in shape when I don't need to be typing on a keyboard.
        DK2M
        Fender Strat (Made in USA)
        Epiphone Les Paul Classic Quilt Top

Comment

That grip master looks like a great tool, i'll check it out. Thanks

Comment

Theres a August 2005 Guitar World with Tom Morello on the cover and though I dont consider him a "speed demon" shredder, he goes over a few exercises that will help you. See if you can dig that issue up. Just go slow at first and then speed it up. It doesnt take long at all if you have been playing for a while. Good luck!

Comment

If you can do this without straining your hand - fold or tuck your index finger away from the neck - or if notm, then just pretend it isn't there, and use your middle in its place. Then use the ring where you would normally use either the ring or middle. also just do exercises with just those 2, then middle/pinky, then ring/pinky.. it should help

ie: 2-3, 3-2, 2-3-2. 3-2-3, 2-2-3, 3-2-2. try intrval too (instead of 1-3-4, try2--3-4 witha whole step stretch)
              Then 2-4, 4-2. 2-4-2, 4-2-4, etc
              then 3-4, 4-3, 3-4-3, 4-3-3, etc

and then go back to the same patterns with the index added back into the mix
              1-2, 1-3, 1-4, 2-3, 2-4, 2-1, etc.... and add in 3-note patterns as well - 1-2-4 then 1-3-4, then 2-3-4, 2-4-1,etc

Comment

Originally posted by Wayniac View Post
                If you can do this without straining your hand - fold or tuck your index finger away from the neck - or if notm, then just pretend it isn't there, and use your middle in its place. Then use the ring where you would normally use either the ring or middle. also just do exercises with just those 2, then middle/pinky, then ring/pinky.. it should help

ie: 2-3, 3-2, 2-3-2. 3-2-3, 2-2-3, 3-2-2. try intrval too (instead of 1-3-4, try2--3-4 witha whole step stretch)
                Then 2-4, 4-2. 2-4-2, 4-2-4, etc
                then 3-4, 4-3, 3-4-3, 4-3-3, etc

and then go back to the same patterns with the index added back into the mix
                1-2, 1-3, 1-4, 2-3, 2-4, 2-1, etc.... and add in 3-note patterns as well - 1-2-4 then 1-3-4, then 2-3-4, 2-4-1,etc
                Great, it feels awkward and a bit painful but i'll do it everyday during my warmup

Comment

No pain - some discomfort is OK, but if you feel actual pain - STOP !
                  Then just use your middle finger as you would normally use your index.. kind of let the index dangle off of the fretboard...
                  Last edited by Wayniac; 05-11-2007, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Mix it up too.. hammer-ons and pull-offs, alt pciking... moving up the neck, down the nack.. ascending and descending across the strings too...
                    Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Wayniac View Post
                      No pain - some discomfort is OK, but if you feel actual pain - STOP !
                      Then just use your middle finger as you would normally use your index.. kind of let the index dangle off of the fretboard...
                      The pain came from stretching, i tried to put my index finger out of the way, somewhere behind my left shoulder

Comment

LOL!
                        Just don't want to cause you an injury...

Comment

I do that:
                          "an exercise in which she was to lay her hands palm down on a flat surface and wiggle each finger in turn"

And chromatic scales etc...
                          Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

Working...
                          X