Riddle me this.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riddle me this.....

Why does the same harmonic ring at the 4th and 9th frets? I understand the same at the 7th and 19th because it's in a higher octave, but I don't get that one.

It has to do with standing waves physics and the way the string is vibrating. The harmonic at the 7th and the 19th fret is exactly the same because it is the same point on the string, just from the other end. The distance between the nut and the 7th fret is the same as the distance between the bridge and the 19th fret. Try playing the harmonic on the 7th fret but plucking the string at the nut, you will get the same sound.

Same with the 4th and 9th frets, as well as the 16th fret and some point above the neck pickup. These points divide the string length in five equal parts and, if i got my physics correctly, stopping the string on any of them produces a vibration pattern - a standing wave - such that all four points are completely static, at least in theory.

This gif from Wikipedia shows what happens when you play the 5th or 24th fret harmonic:

The mid point of the string (which is the 12th fret) is standing still, but if you play the 12th fret harmonic it will result in a different pattern: the string will be split in two vibrating parts instead of four and you will get a sound that is an octave lower.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Node_%28physics%29

Comment

Right on, but 4th and 9th is the only example I've found within the same octave, thats my interest I guess.

Comment

Working...
      X