No announcement yet.

Learn the piece, spoil the magic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only if I thought it was really complicated only to find that it is a trick or some effect explanation. Otherwise, it gets me more into the song, especially if I am in the car and hear it. Really makes me want to go grab a guitar.
    "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

For me it can really destroy the magic of the song. Because of this I've actively steered clear of songs and even whole albums that I really get into.

There are a few albums and songs like Metallica's Kill em All which I have learnt and enjoy listening to, but generally I don't learn too much stuff that I really like.

It's like all of a sudden this unbelievable guitar riff is broken down to just notes and chords on a page and this ethereal entity that wandered your subconscious is now as mortal as anything else on this earth.

Comment

Originally posted by Vass View Post
        ... With music played with "feel" (Gilmour's solo on Time, for example) ...Vass
        Very, very interesting posts so far. And I thought David Gilmour to be a perfect example for the topic !
        I play in a Cover-Band (70s/80s Classic Rock, what else ?) and I actually do cover some Gilmour/Floyd stuff. And every time I perform Shine on You Crazy Diamond or Time at a gig, my admiration for Gilmour even rises !

And it's not about solos - it's about music ! As somebody else stated, if it's good - it's good, and if it sucks - it sucks ! No matter how many notes are played per second. And no matter how challenging it was, to learn it.

So learning these pieces did NOT spoil the magic, quite the opposite !
        uva uvam vivendo varia fit

Comment

I really enjoy learning another guitar players works and duplicating them as close as possible to the original. It gives me some inspiration when I am able to figure out a tough song, and it makes me want to learn more. So for me, it makes me want to play more.

Comment

Starcraft rules! We were playing for a few hours last night.

Comment

I avoid learning any music or piece of music that I don't want emotionally ruined. For me, once a song is learned it becomes boring in that sense.

Comment

Pretty much a lot of the Rhoads stuff once I learned it it kinda killed some of the mojo for me. I learned a handfull of them to play in bands and a couple others but I think I want to leave the rest alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Foulacy View Post
                  I avoid learning any music or piece of music that I don't want emotionally ruined. For me, once a song is learned it becomes boring in that sense.
                  I just love truth, expressed in the fewest possible words

"Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                  --floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
                    Starcraft rules! We were playing for a few hours last night.
                    Hijack?
                    Yeah, somehow Blizzard never capitalized properly on it. It can get funny, too.
                    And it's so easy to create some wacky campaigns, too. Like create a bunch of Dark Archons that can assume identity of SCV's and Zerg Drones.
                    Next thing you know, you can create Zerg and Terran colonies, on top of Protoss. Max creation turns to 300, instead of 100. Total domination is fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
                      Hijack?
                      Yeah, somehow Blizzard never capitalized properly on it. It can get funny, too.
                      And it's so easy to create some wacky campaigns, too. Like create a bunch of Dark Archons that can assume identity of SCV's and Zerg Drones.
                      Next thing you know, you can create Zerg and Terran colonies, on top of Protoss. Max creation turns to 300, instead of 100. Total domination is fun.
                      Never capitalized on it????
                      Dude it's probably the most played game ever, it's a national sport in Korea, literally.
                      Starcraft 2 comes out maybe by the end of this year, i heard it will be a national holiday in Korea when it is released, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Trem View Post
                        Never capitalized on it????
                        Dude it's probably the most played game ever, it's a national sport in Korea, literally.
                        Starcraft 2 comes out maybe by the end of this year, i heard it will be a national holiday in Korea when it is released, lol.
                        That's what I'm saying, it's been due out for ten years or so.
                        I know, it's a great game, that's why I still play it, and still build campaigns.
                        There was rumours of "Ghost", but it was based on a single player, then World of Warcraft happened, and somehow Starcraft kept getting kicked over.
                        Meanwhile, my buds and I jumped over to Quake series playing.

What was it we were talking about?

Comment

both..

Comment

Originally posted by T@rgetDrone View Post
                            It's definitely both for me. Sometimes it's more of a "WOW! I can do that, kinda thing. Other times it just puts a wet blanket on what I simply enjoyed listening to.

There are going to be songs that once you learn them you will probably like them less than before you learned them. Others you'll probably like more. And some you may never figure out. Those are the ones you will most likely appreciate the most, along with the frustration that comes with it. That seems to be a fair blanket statement.

I don't get tired of playing or trying to play any song that I "feel." I guess that's the short answer for me. As long as I'm feeling it, it isn't going to get tired. Those being the ones that have stood the test of time.
                            Nailed it for me...that's how i feel too.

Comment

Maybe the Guitar Heroes are just human, they eat junk food ,shit and fuck like the rest of us!!!

Comment

When I first started playing it ruined allot of stuff I heard when I was really young, I thought the opening part of Back in Black where the play the string of pull offs was so cool, but then when I learned it, all I heard where the individual notes and it didn't sound half as cool.

But then, when I learn some Necrophagist or Watch Tower stuff it's like, wow, that is so awesome!

Comment

Working...
                                X