floyd rose problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• floyd rose problem

so i recently took my jackson 1990 RR to my nearest music shop were they charged me £45 for a full setup, i play in cgcfad but i was suprised when the bridge was sloping into the body instead of level with the guitar body, is this a problem or should i take it back for them to do it properly? cheers

pics would help. From what I understand, I bet you used 10's or 9's to drop down two steps. To compensate for the low tuning, you gotta have fatter strings. i went with 12's when tuning to drop C and with 10's for standard. I found that with regular 10's the strings were sloppy.

that said, the guy who setup the guitar should have told you this before attempting to do it.

EDIT: The problem: The springs at the back of the floyd have more tension that the strings can offer (being the case that they are 10's or 9's)
    Solution: either increase the gage. This means, restrings, probably widening the nut slots to accomodate fatter strings, intonation and action. What else did I leave out??
    OR
    remove one spring, and see if that helps. Also loosen the screws holding the spring claw and see if that helps.

phew! now you know why I hate floyd's !!
    Last edited by emperor_black; 05-23-2007, 05:01 PM.
    Sam

Comment

Did you have the tech do the setup with that tuning in mind?
      If yes, take it back and have them re level the trem. If not, back the trem spring claw out about 1 or 2 full turns (may vary, but you get the idea) on each screw and retune.
      It should level out.
      It's just a tension balancing act.
      -Rick

Comment

Rick, even with the trem balanced out, the strings will still be floppy. I had done the same thing on my Ibanez and it does not sound that good either. I think for low tuning, you gotta have the low strings at least fat. Like the zakk wylde set.
        Sam

Comment

Yea... cgcfad tuning would be less floppy with say a set of 11's, but that still won't fix the Floyd leveling issue. That is literally a tension balancing act.
          -Rick

Comment

The nut should be fine with the heavier strings But all you need to do is level the bridge by backing out the trem claw screws until its level.You will have to retune each time until you find the right spot.If you have never done this it will seem like a pain in the ass but its really a simple fix.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

^ for my slsmg when I increased the gage from 10's to 12's, my guitar-tech told me that he had to widen the low E and A's nut slots. I later widened the slot for the G string because it was "choking" at the frets nearer to the nut.
              Sam

Comment

i used 12's, because of the tuning, but im gonna take it back and get them to do it, if they charge me that much and fuck it uo i aint doing it myself, cheers people

Comment

good luck!
                  Sam

Comment

Working...
                  X