Where does you axe hang?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where does you axe hang?

Just curious as to who likes a low slung guitar and who likes it higher. I keep mine about in the middle waist area. I tried playing my Bond slung low but I had a hard time picking down strokes fast. Trying to solo was not the best either. Not that I can can rip em out anyway! LOL

I have always preferred to hang it mid to high. I strap my Rhoads so that the short wing can be braced with the top of my left leg/thigh, and I have the neck at about a 30 degrees from horizontal. This places the upper wing just above my left hip bone. On my Patriot (Peavey), I set it a bit higher so that my left forearm crosses the upper rear curve of the body and I have the neck about 20 degrees from horizontal.

I have tried to play it hanging low but it puts my wrist at an uncomfortable angle, and picking is harder. I used to think I played with it too high, but when I saw Phil Collen playing a strat body with the thing just about below his chin, I felt alot better...lol.

I see people jamming with their guitar at their knees or ankles, and Denis Leary comes to mind...

"Pull up your pants! And get a job..."

Comment

I think we had a loooong thread about this. Try the search function.
      I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

oh... i was going to answer.... "on the 4 wall hooks, the other ones are in their cases"

For playing position, the bridge is around belly-button height, the neck angled 35-40 degrees up, with the nut about at shoulder height. Same position sitting or standing.
        "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
        The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Somewhere above my knees and below my neck. Beyond that I don't really care - internet guitar players seem to be really picky about all of their stuff. I just want a guitar that stays close to in tune and I'm happy

Comment

I have it so high it doest look cool at all , actually it looks kida bad.

Comment

I hold mine on the higher side but its not overly noticeable, I found as my ability got better I had to keep raising it. I really notice when its too low, it's not comfortable at all for me, I have to change it

Comment

Les Paul Low! Charvies i play waist high so i can acces the fingerboard.
                Les Pauls look gay around your ears.

Comment

very low... no matter what guitar... it's all about how cool your are
                  "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Up high seems to be the best position for playing technique, but it looks kinda ghey. Down low definitely looks cool, but it forces you to hold your picking arm straight and your fret hand with a bent wrist. Not to bad when playing easy stuff, but anything complicated, forget it. I try to keep it mid-level.

Comment

Up high seems to be the best position for playing technique, but it looks kinda ghey.
                      Wearing it higher doesn't look as ghey if you angle it upwards (especially with a V) and it helps your left hand anyways.
                      "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                      The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

For comfort, I prefer to keep it so the strings are around navel level (above the waist). However, I've discovered that I can sling it quite a bit lower if I'd need to, without it affecting my playing too much. It just feels hella awkward to play that way.

Comment

It covers my gut..which is pretty big..so that's good.
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Right around my neck, so I can see the strings No, really I use a strap and sit in a music chair ala Les Paul. Just like when he plays at the Iridium Jazz Club in NYC.
                            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

i've been told by friends that i keep mine too high (i play a soloist), i can wear it low, but trying to get to the top frets becomes too strenuous for my liking
                              if it's too fast, you're too old
                              see ya!

Comment

Working...
                              X