Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you do that string bending "growl" in Ozzy's "Mama, I'm Coming Home"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you do that string bending "growl" in Ozzy's "Mama, I'm Coming Home"?

Let's use "Mama, I'm Coming Home" by Ozzy as an example.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

In the solo at 2:31 and 2:38, Zakk does a bend that has a distinctive "growl" to it, making it sound like it's going "urrrrrrrgh!!!!"

At the beginning of Adrian Smith's solo in Iron Maiden's "Killers", Adrian does one of those "urrrrrrrgh!!!!" bends as well.

I'm trying to figure out how to do this... it has this aggressive nuance to it that doesn't sound like a typical pick squeal and it almost sounds like they're hitting an extra note (compound bend?) to get that slight dissonant quality to it.

Sounds like a stationary high Eb note on the 1st string (11th fret standard tuning) with a compound bend from Bb to C on the 2nd string (11th fret bent up one step). Of course Zakk plays detuned.

Comment

I didn't look at the examples but is this it?

------------------------
      --15--------------------
      --14b(16)---------------

Comment

Originally posted by demeyes View Post
        I didn't look at the examples but is this it?

------------------------
        --15--------------------
        --14b(16)---------------
        don't know if that's the answer, but it's an old fave of Adrian's. Real attention grabber...
        Last edited by VitaminG; 10-30-2007, 07:06 AM.
        Hail yesterday

Comment

Zakk looks hilarious in that hat.

Thats the thing, I use it a lot. You bend the higher string a full step but not the lower, resulting in a kind of whacked sound because the lower string will go a microtone flat (especially if you're using a floyd). It takes a little getting used to. Play by ear.
          I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by levantin View Post
            Zakk looks hilarious in that hat.

Thats the thing, I use it a lot. You bend the higher string a full step but not the lower, resulting in a kind of whacked sound because the lower string will go a microtone flat (especially if you're using a floyd). It takes a little getting used to. Play by ear.
            It's more than a microtone I find! I bend the B slightly to compensate (I'm assuming you have higher/lower reversed). I've always known these as unity bends (since you're bending to the pedal tone), is that the accepted term?

I find part of the 'growl' is in the attack, use a hard pick and hit the strings harder and it stands out that much more (crazy dynamics!).

Comment

a unison bend is, as you describe, where you bend a note on a lower string up to match the note on a higher adjacent string.

The examples that Axewielder & demeyes describe are compound bends, where the lower note is bent up to a note that isn't the same as the higher note. A much more aggressive sound

And you are right - attacking the strings helps too
              Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by KMud View Post
                It's more than a microtone I find! I bend the B slightly to compensate (I'm assuming you have higher/lower reversed). I've always known these as unity bends (since you're bending to the pedal tone), is that the accepted term?

I find part of the 'growl' is in the attack, use a hard pick and hit the strings harder and it stands out that much more (crazy dynamics!).
                I guess the higher lower thing was a bit obscure! What I meant by higher was the third string (g) and the lower was the second (b) in this case, higher on the fretboard if you see what I mean! There you go, clear as mud!
                I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by levantin View Post
                  clear as mud!

Got to love the compound (thanks VitaminG ) bend Yanick uses to announce himself as he takes over soloing from Adrian in the 2 minutes to midnight solo...it's not as raucous as Zakk but it makes a point

Comment

Originally posted by KMud View Post
                    it's not as raucous as Zakk but it makes a point
                    unlike just about everything else in a Janick solo
                    Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                    X