so, im having a slight issue, chord "technique"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so, im having a slight issue, chord "technique"

pick up and electric, OR preferably an acoustic.

Now play an f Minor and pick the individual notes back and forth.

When I do this, every once in a while my notes get "buzzy" where the string 's are vibrating against the softer part of my finger. On my acoustic It seems like I have to have a death grip to avoid dead notes.

When barring across, do I want my index finger perfectly flat, or on it's side?!? My hands hurt from death gripping, am I doing somethign wrong, or is this just "one of those things" that is tough to avoid.

Does what I am saying make sense?!? I want to avoid this issue of putting a death grip on the bar to get the notes to ring true.

Index finger, Flat, sidewayys, or Whatever, its all about maintaining pressure?!?

I find that if you sort of rotate your finger along its axis toward the nut, it helps.

Comment

YEah, and keep the finger pretty close to the fretwire instead of right in the middle of the fret.

Or...you could just forget it and play power chords :P

Comment

Originally posted by jonasaberg View Post
        YEah, and keep the finger pretty close to the fretwire instead of right in the middle of the fret.

Or...you could just forget it and play power chords :P
        Or even better, just the open E.
        |My CSG gallery|
        (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

F is really hard to play like that. I basically refuse to pick up an acoustic because it's so much harder on the hands

Comment

Learning a variety of chords with their application to specific keys is good schooling.
            I recall when I first started exploring chords, specifically barre chords.
            I was amazed how simply just adding or removing a finger(note in the chord) changed the sound of the chord. I thought it was too cool.
            Learning a wide range of chords is good schooling and will add to your future writing skills and overall help make you a better player.

You will out grow it but a good chord book is always a handy item.
            when I struggle with a song, finding the right chord or chords that I can't recall myself. I still find myself going to the trusty chord book.
            Its got every possible chord and its arrangement that can ever be thought of, even the unheard of obscure stuff. Something to think about if you dare to explore that part of playing. Again, learning a wide range of chords is good schooling regardless whether its jazz, country, rock and etc.
            Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

id say use the tips of your fingers, and move them a little closer to the fretwire, not too close though

Comment

Originally posted by JacksonDean View Post
                I find that if you sort of rotate your finger along its axis toward the nut, it helps.
                This, as much as possible.

The outer side of your fingers are 'harder' than the soft and meaty 'pads' on your tips...if that makes any sense.
                You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Nut too high can make bar chords on the first few frets kind of difficult and out of tune. Even with ideal nut height, fretting notes way down the neck already requires more finger pressure because of the angle (further away from the center of the string length)
                  "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                  The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Working...
                  X