No announcement yet.

Volume swells - who actually uses them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volume swells - who actually uses them?

In the discussions about Jackson's knob placement, someone invariably mentions they like the positioning because it makes volume swells easier.

Now, for this discussion, volume swells are defined as fading in or out like EVH's "Cathedral" or Roy Buchanan's work, not just sharp volume cutoffs/returns to reduce excess noise after quick passages (which can be just as easily done with a kill button or pedal, if not more easily) or "backing off for rhythm/cranking for solos", which again do not seem to be affected by knob placement.

So, who actually uses "Cathedral" style volume swells with such regularity that they couldn't use a pedal instead?
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Originally posted by Newc View Post
    So, who actually uses "Cathedral" style volume swells with such regularity that they couldn't use a pedal instead?
    I wondered the same thing. And why is Cathedral the same example that everyone gives?!? I have to suffer with ghey knob placement on ALL my Jacksons for that one bullshit song?!?

Comment

The knob placement is more of a issue for me with jacksons.
      Because it so close to the pickup I bump it way to often and cause the volume to go down. My ESP, the knob is back away from the pickup just enough that I don't bump it.

But to answer your question.
      When I play Cathedral, which is rarely, I use the knob. Its the way I learned it. If I had a set list that required alot of volume swells,
      for convience sake, I'd definitely use a pedal.
      Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

I do it once in a while but a pedal is obviously better because it allows you to keep you full right hand technique.

I have not played one in person, but the DK1s have the knob a little further away

http://audiozone.dk/cm/displayimage.php?album=12&pos=8

That seems to be the best position for the volume knob.

Comment

Get a ke1!
          I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

There's an Opeth song that uses them, I think it's "Black Rose Immortal" but maybe not. It's on the "Morningrise" album anyway. Not sure if it was Mikael of Peter who played it.
            Viv Campbell also does it on one of the Def Leppard live DVDs.
            http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Even Iced earth used them on some songs. I dont use them much, just when the mood strikes, but someone who uses the technique constantly might be able to answer this... Is it even possible to work the pedal as fast as your fingers possibly could?
              Sam

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                Is it even possible to work the pedal as fast as your fingers possibly could?
                It's entirely possible. I've done tremolo effects with a volume pedal. I've also done it with a wah pedal, which sounds like a Phaser with a high repeat.

Maybe the folks who claim they use the knob for swells will stop in.

Then maybe we can all petition Jackson to move the damn volume knobs
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I used both and dont really have a preferencE other than every guitar has the ability so why ad a pedal to the mix? I think the Jackson position is good placement for pinky swells. I don't play cathedral so cant say if it applicable for that or not
                  shawnlutz.com

Comment

I use them every time I walk into a room
                    -Adam

Comment

I've been trying to learn to do them but it's not easy. People like Uli and Yngwie do it a lot more than EVH.

I try not to use pedals too much I'd rather just use my hands for everything

Comment

I use the volume knob to do the swells. On a regular basis. I think the placement of the knob is perfect. but then thats apparently just me. And I heard Phil Keaggy doing the volume swells before EVH. But yeh when i think of volume swells I think of cathedral.

Comment

Originally posted by anuske9 View Post
                          I use them every time I walk into a room
                          :ROTF:
                          Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

I use volume swells sometimes, by sliding my pinky against the knob so it doesn't affect my right-hand position too much.
                            "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                            The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

I am OK with Jacksons placement but Strats bug me to the point were I never owned one, even back when there were just strats and Les Pauls

Comment

Working...
                              X