No announcement yet.

Volume swells - who actually uses them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was talking more about the Danny Gatton-type stuff actually where you're doing pinky-swells and picking at the same time, or at least in a close enough time frame that you couldn't use a pedal or would have to adjust your picking hand to reach the knob.

Fading sustained chords or hammer/pull passages, the knob could be on the headstock.

Anyone ever try those low profile metal dome knobs?
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
      Anyone ever try those low profile metal dome knobs?
      The thought of getting a standard knob cut down in height has crossed my mind, but I need to find someone that has the right equipment to do the work.

Comment

My pinky is not coordinated enough. Come to think of it, neither is my foot.
        "POOP"

Comment

Originally posted by SEEGERMANY View Post
          My pinky is not coordinated enough. Come to think of it, neither is my foot.
          I'm sure with a few weeks of drills you could be swellin like a villain
          DIVIDE THIS LAND | DIRTY 'N' HEAVY, SERVED PIPING HOT

Comment

use them quite a bit but i use an ernie ball pedal...then again i play gibson guitars too...

Comment

Ive tried em, rarely get a good sound.

Watch jeff becks A day in the life.

Comment

This thread is so funny... When I first got my Jackson I went "GOD the knob is far away!!!" compared to my first guitar - I got so used to volume swelling with my pinky constantly around the knob while picking, and the DK2 was just too far away for that... So I have exactly the opposite reaction to everyone else here... I think the knob is miles away and wish it was right there under the pickup/tremolo!

Maybe I should count my lucky stars I didn't end up buying a different guitar, eh?
                - Andi Kravljaca -

Comment

I'll use volume swells, occasionally...rarely...but not enough to justify to vol pot placement on my soloists. I actually relocated the vol pot on my SL1. Been fighting myself over moving the one on my SL2 because I do bump it. dammit!

Comment

Originally posted by madcap View Post
                    Ive tried em, rarely get a good sound.

Watch jeff becks A day in the life.
                    http://video.google.ca/videoplay?doc...arch&plindex=3

That was cool

Comment

Speaking of Jeff Beck......after Cathedral, this is the next song that comes to mind when I think of volume swells:

A Jeff Beck clip featuring his remarkable use of the vibrato bar and harmonics.

Lots of other neat techniques and tricks along with volume swells!

Comment

that shit was crazy^

Comment

If I do volume swells, which isn't often.. I tend to use a pedal. Good thing about a volume pedal is that it doesn't require a battery

Btw, I can only do volume swells the 'proper' way on my strat.. the knobs on my other guitars aren't smooth enough.
                          "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

Best volume slur example I've seen is Greg Koch's "Tonus Diabolicus". Stick around for the lesson afterwards. "It's good clean fun for the kids" Ha!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                            E = Fb

Comment

i think the knob placement on my fusion deluxe is perfect!
                              You can't play no muthfuggin' arpeggios on a tuba...

Comment

Working...
                              X