Artifical harmonics...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artifical harmonics...

I can hit them all day long on my Strat, Tele and Les Paul.. but when it comes to my Jackson I have the hardest time hitting them.
    2009 Les Paul Kit - GFS Dream 90 (N), SD Seth Lover (B)
    2009 Gibson Les Paul Worn Brown
    2009 Epiphone Studio Deluxe
    2008 Epiphone Custom - SD P-Rail(N), Fat Pat (B)
    2008 Ovation Celebrity CC48
    2007 Agile AL3000 - SD Alinco II set
    2005 Epiphone Standard - SD Pearly Gate (N),SD Alinco II (B)
    2004 Epiphone Custom Plus Top
    2004 Gibson SG Faded - Stock
    1997 Epiphone Slash Snakepit
    1995 Fender Strat - SD Lil 59' Bridge, SD Hotrail Middle, Stock Neck

I just cannot seem to hit em on the A and E strings. I have no problem on the E, B, G, D strings at all. I have tried several techniques including the pinkie, etc to no avail. I only get them by accident once and awhile. I would love to get a few of those Zakky type harmonics, but I would not use them every 8 notes, LOL.
    Remember, Wherever you go,.. there you are

Comment

From what you guys said I can't really draw much. A.H.'s should be at the same location on every string. (pinky?) Harmonics go dead on old strings, so that could help. Jackson's have a longer string length, so the harmonics are gonna be in slightly different places... adjust your tone?
      Last edited by anuske9; 12-19-2007, 12:47 PM.
      -Adam

Comment

let me guess, a neck-thru Jackson?

many folks have discovered that it's a lot more easier to hit harmonics on bolt-on or some other guitar than on a neck-thru guitar
        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I was just going to say - is it a neck through guitar? I've always had such a rough time with those...
          - Andi Kravljaca -

Comment

I play pretty agressive on the low strings and all are bolt ons. DKMGT, DK2S, Fender Stagemaster. I think maybe I am just too heavy on the larger strings. I might be muting everything. I dont have any problems at all on the first 4 strings, LOL.
            Remember, Wherever you go,.. there you are

Comment

Check your intonation.
              Just one more guitar!

Comment

Also, what about action. I know I tend to go for much lower action on a J/C when compared to a LP etc. Lower action can f'k up harmonic nicely because the string will be more likely to have its natural vibration disturbed as it may fret out slightly, which is all it takes to kill 'em sometimes, even though a regular fretted note may not end up sounding too bad.
                "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

I can pull a whole range of harmonics out of any guitar, including my waterlogged EKO acoustic, thanks to my top secret technique!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tanpsi View Post
                    I can pull a whole range of harmonics out of any guitar, including my waterlogged EKO acoustic, thanks to my top secret technique!!!!
                    I dunno if it's top secret because i'm right there with ya. I usually have no problems hitting any harmonics... try using a thumb a little more on the thicker strings, that gives it more of the pWOOOOWww sound (with a little bit of awesome vibrato, of course)
                    DIVIDE THIS LAND | DIRTY 'N' HEAVY, SERVED PIPING HOT

Comment

Try raising the bass side of the bridge just a little.Thats all I had to do on my DKMG.I don't have that problem on floyd guitars.
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I can do them on all 6 strings... but I guess it`s my favourite techicque = I PLAY IT A LOT!...
                        You just have to try and try and try..
                        Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

Originally posted by Special-K View Post
                          I can do them on all 6 strings... but I guess it`s my favourite techicque = I PLAY IT A LOT!...
                          You just have to try and try and try..
                          +1, practice not only makes perfect, but allows it to be more comfortable
                          DIVIDE THIS LAND | DIRTY 'N' HEAVY, SERVED PIPING HOT

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                            let me guess, a neck-thru Jackson?

many folks have discovered that it's a lot more easier to hit harmonics on bolt-on or some other guitar than on a neck-thru guitar
                            that's odd. it shouldn't matter. but I've seen crazier things in life. =)

Comment

I can hit them in my sleep on my neck-thru Bich. I hope it is the same on my KE2 when it arrives.

Comment

Working...
                              X