troy stetinas books.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• troy stetinas books.

Before you all yell "use the search function" i allready checked out this topichttp://www.jcfonline.com/ubb/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=000032 but still have a few questions about troy stetinas book series. Im interested in getting speed mechanics for lead guitar book, but im not sure if it may be too advanced for me. although it has all of the things i want to become better at. Is it just for the advanced player with really complicated excercizes or does the book work up to them? Im also looking at his metal lead guitar books. Do you guys think it may be better to start with that one or does it not matter? Thanks

Re: troy stetinas books.

Speed Mechanics is good for the beginner to the advanced player. Just try to play the exercises at whatever speed you can and work your way up from there. The first lead guitar book would be a good one, too, and they work well together. But if you get just one, I'd get Speed Mechanics first.

Comment

I agree that speed mechanics is fine also for beginner to advanced. Now if I could just find the cd in my stack of 100s, LOL.

Comment

in my opinion speed mechanics is NOT useable for a total beginner...if you play for let's say a year then it might be okay if you are really into practising. If you are just doodling around for fun i think speed mechanics will only frustrate you.

Comment

I agree, I just got both the Speed mechanics and Metal lead vol. 1 about 2 weeks ago. I find myself using the metal lead more than speed mechanics. SM is more practice oriented whereas metal lead teaches you some licks and you can improvise on backing tracks etc. I think you can use both books to complement each other so you won't get bored, it's all about having fun after all...

cheers

Comment

Well, I would call myself a beginner, as in playing for like 5 months. SM is a really good book, certainly if you are devoted to practcing real hard. However, I find myself often putting effort in understanding the minor details of the excercises, often I have to imagine myself. Like the first pull-off and hammer-on excercise he doesn't say whether to lay all fingers for pulling off, or lay two of them at once and pull-off. Rather for a beginner like me, Troy even failed to explain HOW to pull-off and kept this trend in the trill excercises, I didn't know exactly what he was talking about. Furthermore, going to the alternate picking exs, Troy again doesn't do a good job at explaining how to use the metronome and really how to divide beats and stuff. Not to mention the routine for using the metronome is described once in a quarter note excercise, and the reader is expected to calculate the rest on his/her own self. Those aren't bad things though, maybe just intended for at least intermeditate players. The excercises are great, and Troy even explains when and how this could be used, by giving examples of artists using them in specific pieces. I must add that if you are determined, those small flaws are rather neglectable and unimportant. Its also important to know that is a practice manual. Just my opinion. Take care and good luck!

Comment

I think it depends on what level you are. If you are an absolute beginner, I wouldn't use Speed Mechanics or Metal Lead Vol I. I would start with Metal Rhythm Vol. 1 and the Metal Lead Primer.

If you look in the foreward of Metal Lead Vol. 1, you will notice that Troy says "This book is most appropriate for intermediate level players who have already been playing guitar for a year or more."

If you have been playing for a year or more, then Metal Lead Vol. 1 and Speed Mechanics together would be a place to start.

Comment

Fragger, I wouldn't consider ANY of those points "flaws". It is expected that by the time you attempt a book like Speed Mechanics, that you at least have some of these basic concepts down. These are not oversights on Troy's part, the book isn't advertised as a "how to play" book, but as a tool to get better once you can already play.

So I guess you have just illustrated that, while being an excellent resource, Speed Mechanics is NOT a ideal book for the absolute beginner.

The Lead Primer would be a better place for the absolute beginner to start. As fritzreiser points out, Troy himself recommends an intermediate level of proficiency before you attempt ML1. Same goes for SM
                Hail yesterday

Comment

Metal lead guitar Vol 1 is an awesome method for beginners.

[img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG:
                    Fragger, I wouldn't consider ANY of those points "flaws". It is expected that by the time you attempt a book like Speed Mechanics, that you at least have some of these basic concepts down. These are not oversights on Troy's part, the book isn't advertised as a "how to play" book, but as a tool to get better once you can already play.

So I guess you have just illustrated that, while being an excellent resource, Speed Mechanics is NOT a ideal book for the absolute beginner.

The Lead Primer would be a better place for the absolute beginner to start. As fritzreiser points out, Troy himself recommends an intermediate level of proficiency before you attempt ML1. Same goes for SM
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes VitaminG, I agree with you, and have also clarified this in my post. If you don't know the basics, then this certainly isn't a good book for you. However, I have found that if you are absolutely determined to use this book, then I think one COULD get through. For myself, if I don't get something, I try to read again and again till I get it, or ask around. An excellent book nonetheless, may it be for beginners or not. Take care!

Comment

Working...
                    X