Creating Harmonizing leads...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating Harmonizing leads...

I've tried to do it on one guitar at the same time, and it sounds terrible. It sounds okay on the piano/keyboard, but it never works out on my guitar. My pickup is an excellent pickup and shouldn't be the problem (Tonni Iommi Sig.). I play two notes usually two steps down in the scale. I know that's not what most bands do when they use harmonizing lines, but this is how I'm starting out. Any pointers?

Re: Creating Harmonizing leads...

how are you sounding the notes? I find harmony lines can sound better if you pluck both notes (ala Smoke on the Water). Strumming them just sounds like you are playing chords, but plucking makes both notes sound at the exactly same time, as they would if they were played on different instruments.
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Are using distortion while playing the two notes at the same time? Most bands would have two guitarists to do harmonies because distortion often mushes the two notes together which sounds horrible.

Comment

Didnt Faith No Mores guitarist Jim Martin?? I believe, pls correct me if I'm wrong play alot of harmony lines?

Comment

Are you asking "how do you harmonize?" or "how can I play a harmonized line on one guitar?

Comment

I do it the easy way....with delay or with the harmonizer effect. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

you have to kow some theory in order to harmonize properly, it just isn't a matter of playing the same thing a couple frets away. The best way to do is multi-track. Do you first lead, break it down into sections and then build the harmony off that. If you are doing 3rds harmony you have to go a third up or down from each note within the key that you are playing in. The patterns are not going to be same in terms of number of frets etc...its based on the note, the interval from that note within the same key in which you inital lead is in.

Break down some songs that have harmony in them and you'll get the idea..some examples are the Trooper from Maiden, a lot of Yngwie, Black Star and the clean section in Mr Crowley before the second solo.

I haven't had much luck with haromonizers soundig "real' to me.
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

Are you asking "how do you harmonize?" or "how can I play a harmonized line on one guitar?
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Actually, a little bit of both.

Are using distortion while playing the two notes at the same time? Most bands would have two guitarists to do harmonies because distortion often mushes the two notes together which sounds horrible.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes. It does sound horrible, and I was wondering if there was a way to make it sound clearer, because as of now it sounds like ass. I was pretty sure that Randy Rhoads played both lines at the same time in the Crowley solo, it sounds like the same guitar. I tried turning down the gain a little bit, but now it just doesn't have the sustain/bite that I wanted.

you have to kow some theory in order to harmonize properly, it just isn't a matter of playing the same thing a couple frets away.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yea, I knew this much. Both of the notes are in the same scale, I don't just move it a few frets down, but it still sounds awful. I just can't get it to work. With two guitars I'm pretty sure it would sound okay, but I'm a beleiver in doing everything the hard way.

I do it the easy way....with delay or with the harmonizer effect.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">(Coughs) puss!

Comment

Try not to harmonize every note in a melody line, but only accentuate some of them. A really good example can be found in the live version of Mr.Crowley from Tribute, before the final solo began.

Comment

Where would I find that though? I've never seen it on a CD, or at least not that I can recall.

Comment

If your harmonizing a solo:

You want to use either a third up or another interval (if you want to get a different "taste") from the note your playing, just as Shawn Lutz explained.

For example: your playing a "C" note and the other guitar plays a "E" (third note from C). if the next note played in the solo is an "E" then the other guitar player will play a third up which is "G#". Because, G is sharp in an E major scale. Get it? You must consider the scale with respect to the note being played.
                      Hope this helped.

Comment

So it's going to take anther guitarist to pull it off. I'm the only one that can solo worth a shit in the band. Dammit!

Well, thanks anyway everybody.

Comment

[ May 24, 2004, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: toejam ]
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by metallicarocks:
                            I was pretty sure that Randy Rhoads played both lines at the same time in the Crowley solo, it sounds like the same guitar.
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">He probably overdubbed that part on the album. That's a technique a lot of people do.
                            Though, while taking lessons from Mike Romeo in the late '80s, I watched him harmonize on two different strings by doing hammer-ons and pull-offs... with both hands!! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] He made it look so easy.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                            X