Left Handed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left Handed

Do you think playing a right handed guitar can have negitive effects on someone trying to play right handed when there left handed? I wonder beauce lefties think with a diff side than righties........

Re: Left Handed

jinx are you left handed or right handed?
    want to really bake ya noodle? take a righty guitar and without changeing anything on it play it lefthanded...as in your low e string being closest to the floor.

Comment

I am lefthanded and play guitar the righty way. I actually think it is easier for me to be exact on the neck with my left hand. I have always found picking easier than fretting. I did try playing lefty at first, but I found it easier and cheaper to play right handed.

Comment

you have a bigger advantage playing on a righty, then a lefty. i think.

YOur left hand does all the fretting and your probably cooridinated better on your left hand.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelMadeja:
          you have a bigger advantage playing on a righty, then a lefty. i think.

YOur left hand does all the fretting and your probably cooridinated better on your left hand.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">So why aren't you playing a left-handed guitar then?

Comment

rik emmett is a lefty and seems to do ok playing right-handed [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ...d.m.
            http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

I'm a lefty who plays right handed: when I was looking for my first guitar at 12 years old, it didn't take long to figure out that the left handed guitars were hard to find and were more expensive. So I figured I'd learn to play right handed. Worked fine for me.

Pete

Comment

I'm a lefty and will probably always prefer lefthanded guitars. But I can also take a swing at a righthanded guitar and have some fun with it as well. There was a Hendrix Strat that came out in 97 or 98 that was a lefthanded guitar set up righthanded. It was basically a mirror image of a righthanded guitar right down to the Fender logo being backwards. Thats the guitar I'd like to get and flip it over and play it lefty. Back to your question, I find that it actually helps to play a righty once in a while. For me it keeps my left hand fingers as loose as my right hand fingers. If that makes any sense. Its like a whole other excersize. It's also strange fun to learn something lefty and then try to bring that knowledge over to play it righthanded. Imagine if you're a righty and you picked up a lefthanded guitar and tried to play something that you know inside & out as righty. It takes a bit of coordination (& patience). But in the end I feel that I'm a better player because of it. I didn't mean for this to ramble on. My sincere apologies.

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps:
                  So I figured I'd learn to play right handed. Worked fine for me.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You're damn right. You're frigging skilled for sure. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Steve Morse also is a lefty playing righty style.
                    I myself learned to play on a lefty, mostly cos I was a spoiled brat, and got whatever I pointed at [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I'm lefthanded but learned to play from the beginning righthanded. It seems like chording, especially "jazz" chords, were easier for me. But my right hand has taken a lot of work. Playing on a righthanded guitar makes finding instruments much easier, too. In the end, though, I think you have to be comfortable with however you play.

By the way, Steve Morse is another leftie who plays rightie.
                      Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

I am also a lefty who plays righty, for the same reasons-lefty guitars were hard to come by and expensive when I strated playing. And to top it all off, I used to whack out my high school music teacher when playing keyboards by playing the melodies with my left hand and chords with my right. I'm pretty sure I would still suck as a guitar player whether I learned on a lefty guitar or not!

Comment

Vinnie Moore is a lefty. I'm a lefty that plays
                          right handed so when I saw Vinnie signing autographs with his left hand at a guitar clinic I asked him about being lefty but playing right handed guitars. He said he thought it was advantage.

Comment

I just read that Gary Moore is a lefty. Mark Knopfler is, too.
                            Seems like there are quite a few gifted lefties
                            playing right handed guitars.

Comment

Working...
                            X