Funky chords.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funky chords.

Ive been learning some opeth lately and they have really interested progressions and arrangements in their music. I was looking at some of the chord names (off powertab) and i see chords like "B flat sus2" and "D6 add 4" "E major add 4" Ive heard of add and sus chords and played ones like that before, but could someone explain how theyre constructed and perhaps in what context i could apply them? Thanks guys.

Re: Funky chords.

If it helps, sus chords usually indicate a different note being substituted for the 3rd. For instance, a Bsus2 would place a C# (the 2nd degree of the scale) for the normal 3rd (D# in this case). Therefore, a Bsus2 would have these notes: B C# F#.

An add chord has an additional tone added to the chord. A D6add4 would have the notes of a D6 chord (D-F#-A-B) along with an added 4th (G, in this case). The full chord would have the notes D-F#-A-B-G but you would probably omit one or more of the notes if you were to play it.

As for context, I asked my friend who's got a degree in music theory a similar question. He said that a lot of chords with "big names" like add, sus, #11b13, etc. are often used as shorthand for what's happening with the harmony and melody as they interact. In other words, it's an interaction of the various lines in the piece.

I hope this has been helpful. Perhaps the site referenced by Fong can provide a more in-depth explaination.
    Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

Click on the link http://www.guitarknowledgenet.com/

Then click on "Chords, Scales and Terms" select "terms and theories" and you'll find your answers there.

The link is courtesy of Miffy rules.

Hope this help
      Fong

Comment

Go listen to the Police. TONS of useful chords there!! But yes, usually SUS means to add the 2nd or 4th in place of the 3rd or flat 3rd.

Comment

which opeth songs are you learning currently??

cheers

Comment

Working...
          X