scale length

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scale length

When you're learning how to shred, do you find that it matters much if you switch between guitars that have a 24.75" scale length and a 25.5" scale length?

I'm just looking to remove any potential obstacles to get to the next level, and I've been toying with the idea of just working on one scale length. The logic being that muscle memory seems to be an important factor for shredding.

Stupid idea?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Re: scale length

Not at all. If you're going to learn, you have to be able to play anything you may get your hands onto. And, if you`re learnin' from scratch, it's really helpful to stick to some kind of schedule, with the important stuff in it. You can learn a lot more playin' 30 minutes a day, focusing on what you need, than playin' 5 hours a just goofin' with the stuff you like.

Hope it helps.

Rock on!

Rodrigo [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]
    Facebook - Youtube

Comment

Yeah, I have pretty small hands, so I've been toying with the idea of getting rid of my 25.5" scale length guitars and sticking to just 24.75" scale length guitars.

Comment

Originally posted by SeventhSon:
        When you're learning how to shred, do you find that it matters much if you switch between guitars that have a 24.75" scale length and a 25.5" scale length?

I'm just looking to remove any potential obstacles to get to the next level, and I've been toying with the idea of just working on one scale length. The logic being that muscle memory seems to be an important factor for shredding.

Stupid idea?
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">There's a lot to consider with scale length. First of all, it contributes a LOT to a guitar's sound. It's part of the reason that no strat will ever sound like a Les Paul or vice versa. So getting rid of your 25.5" scale guitars may mean that you are losing a sound that you might regret.

Secondly, the scale length does affect string tension, if all other factors are equal (tuning, string guage, etc.) So even though the shorter scale will yield slightly lower string tension, it doesn't mean that you'll be faster. Look how many shred gods use a 25.5" scale - Yngwie, Vai, Satriani, Gilbert, Petrucci, Steve Morse, Joe Stump, and a whole slew of others are lightning fast on the longer scale even with the slightly higher string tension.

If you think string tension is slowing you down, consider some of these suggestions. Use thinner strings - Yngwie uses very thin strings as do a lot of the shredders. Second, tune down a half-step, in the time-honored tradition of Eddie (and Yngwie, too). Both of those will make for a spongier feel. Along with these, you might try a heavier pick. As several shred guitarists have talked about in interviews I've seen, a heavier pick gets rid of lost energy between the pick and string, as the pick won't be bending and rebounding for the next note. It takes a while to get used to, but I find heavier picks (like 1.14 or 1.5 mm) to be great for a nice, positive feel.

As for me, although I can definitely feel the difference between the scale lengths on my guitars (I have a PRS and a Fender HM Strat that are both 25.0" scale and several other guitars that are 25.5" scale), I don't think I find the shorter scale length to be better. To be honest, I'm very used to the 25.5" scale so sometimes the shorter scales feel a little too soft to me at first. I actually find the bigger adjustment not to be scale length but the number of frets, i.e. 21 vs. 22 vs. 24 frets.

In the end, the only way to develop speed is to practice, practice and practice some more. Although a good setup and guitar matter into it, simply using a shorter scale won't automatically give someone supersonic picking speed.

I hope this helps.
        Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

I have small hands too, that's why I enjoyed so much my Fusion Plus, BUT! If you are serious about getting better (technically speaking) at guitar playin', you will benefit A LOT trying to acomplish technical excercises on 25.5 sacle guitars.

Just my two cents of course.

Have fun! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
          Facebook - Youtube

Comment

For comparion sake I took my soloist and my 750XL and lined them up and the 12th fret on the SL1 is equal to the 13th on 750XL and the 24th(750) is at the 22nd(SL1).It is a bit tighter but if you have small skinny fingers it should not pose a problem.

Like what was said before it not make you faster.But it will allow you to have a bigger reach fret wise.And with small hands that is a big plus.There is just somethings I have a very hard time playing on the 25.5 compared to the 24.75.If you can afford to have one one each do it.
            Mike
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

Well, I think it matters quite a bit. If you have smallish hands like I do, I think the Gibson scale length is much easier for wide stretches. Plus the tension on the strings is lower so the actual fretting of the note seems easier to me. However, you DO lose some of the tightness of a 25 1/2" scale length. So you could say get a Les Paul Scale length and use a higher guage string like maybe 10's or so.

Comment

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to create any artificial hurdles for myself by practicing on both scale lengths...

Thanks, bruthas! [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                X