The Principles of Correct Practice for Guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Principles of Correct Practice for Guitar

Discover the best ways to learn to play guitar without getting Bad Habits from The beginning. Explore the essential Guitar principles, lessons, & exercises.

Has anyone else used this? I wanted to share it with you guys. I ordered it a few years ago (4? 5?) and started applying the exercises and the principles behind it, and, well, holy shit. I recently looked back at some stuff before I started with it and realized how much better I've gotten. It TOTALLY changed my playing.

I recently started playing again and I have Becker's "Altitudes" almost up to speed after spending about a month with it, practicing exactly as the book prescribes. It's more of a book that gives you insight and tools to proper practicing so you aren't wasting time, but it does have some exercises.

I don't think I've shared this with the JCF before, but let me tell you guys that I think every guitar player should read it.

No I am not getting paid or compensated in any way for raving about this

what did you find most helpful about it?

Comment

Originally posted by Tashtego View Post
      what did you find most helpful about it?
      I've never really found another book that correctly communicated the right way to relax and play, and why it should be done that way. I've never found another book that allowed me to make predictable improvements to my playing.

Comment

That's cool if you play covers and dupilcate other artists' progressions, ideas and whatnots.

I only play when inspired and attempt original riffs. Then I write harmonies, solos, and ect to fit within the context of the arrangement. That that was much more difficult to explain, than to actually do..it really a natural proces for me..

But... Congrats on your progress. Grabbing anything by Jason Becker is an accomplisment.

I always kept a very simple approach to practice and writing in general.
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by Argos View Post
          www.guitarprinciples.com
          I don't think I've shared this with the JCF before, but let me tell you guys that I think every guitar player should read it.
          Cool, man, my birthday's coming up....HINT HINT
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I just finished practicing and was sitting here wondering what I could do to help some of my problems organizing my practice sessions and read this post. Huzzah! I ordered the book. I hope it's as good as you say dude. I am looking forward to reading it. Thanks for posting this.
            "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

Let me know what you think when you get it dude!

Comment

Will do man, I should get it latter part of this week. I am looking forward to reading it.

Comment

I have it on my computer in PDF format. I've had it for a while but never read it. I think I'll start reading it today.
                  Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

Wow, I've read a bit more than halfway through and played some guitar and never realized how tense I am. I tried some of the tools and after a little while I was having an easier time playing some things that I couldn't get right before. there were some licks that when I was getting ready to try and play them I would tense up so I started stopping and relaxing as I was about to play them and it seemed alot easier.

It's kind of amazing to think that something so simple can improve your playing. Becoming aware of your tension is something i never really thought of. I didn't think of it as tension, I thought it was concentration. I was wrong.
                    Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

I wasn't sure what the book would be like. I got it because Argos seemed genuinely to feel that it was a big help. With no idea what to expect I read the first part of the book last night instead of playing.

There is a big Yin/Yang symbol on the front and indeed teh author definitely takes a zen approach to music in general. She stresses that beginners and those people that have become stagnant and have stopped improving in their playing are who the book is intended for. She lists a bunch of observations she has made over the years of playing and teaching the instrument about the most common flaws that struggling players make.

Right away I felt from reading the book that this lady had somehow spent time watching me play, because almost everything she listed I tend to suffer from to some extent. It was sort of freaky the way I could see how right she was. I had paid no attention to my overall form while playing. To the point that it was really holding me back.

The middle part of the book deals with the proper way to sit and play if you are a classical musician. Sorry to say that while there were one or two things that I agreed with, I didn't think that part was at all useful. It really doesn't suit a rock players needs.

However, that last bit of the book was another fountain of knowledge. This is the part that deals with the different ways you can practice a piece of music and why each is important. Right away I could see that she was completely right and I had neglected a couple extremely simple but important rules for learning and improving.

I would say that the book is well worth the investment for the first and last parts alone. If I were looking for a book to help me start playing classical of folk guitar, I would have found the middle section useful as well.

I sat down tonight and by using her ideas of releasing tension while playing and on the importance of paying proper attention to what I was doing, I immediately had better control while playing. In fact, while playing a tricky solo section that has caused me problems for the last couple of months, I aced what has been a section that had been a wall to me, easily.

Anytime something as simple as reading a few short chapters can improve your playing by as much as this did for me right away, I consider that a homerun. The best part is that by using some of her concepts, that are not only simple to understand but affect players of all styles, I can see how this will help me improve over potentially the far future.

In all I have to say thanks to you Argos. If we ever do meet, the beers on me bro.

Comment

my rule of thumb is that if you are tightening your sphincter to get through a passage, you haven't nailed it. you need to slow down, relax, and identify what exactly you are having difficulty with.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

Originally posted by Argos View Post
                          www.guitarprinciples.com

Has anyone else used this? I wanted to share it with you guys. I ordered it a few years ago (4? 5?) and started applying the exercises and the principles behind it, and, well, holy shit. I recently looked back at some stuff before I started with it and realized how much better I've gotten. It TOTALLY changed my playing.

I recently started playing again and I have Becker's "Altitudes" almost up to speed after spending about a month with it, practicing exactly as the book prescribes. It's more of a book that gives you insight and tools to proper practicing so you aren't wasting time, but it does have some exercises.

No I am not getting paid or compensated in any way for raving about this
                          man you've gotta be a great player to do some j.becker! thats awesome. i'm gonna have to check that site out. thanks for sharing.

Comment

The Principles of Correct Practice for Guitar

Drink plenty of water.
                            Low fiber diet.
                            Strong support among family, friends, coworkers and band members.
                            Public voluntary service in the community
                            Register to vote
                            Above all, be extremely overly anti about anything and everything without just cause.
                            That should do it.
                            Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Chasbo:

I'm glad you're happy with it man! Now you know why I preach about it. It's especially useful for self-taught players. Keep us updated on the progress you're making. If you follow Jamie's practice approach strictly, you will make incredible improvements.
                              Last edited by Argos; 01-21-2008, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X