I have 4 days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have 4 days

Ok, so my first real band is finally getting together, I am a rhythm guitarist in it, however I am sharing some of the solo's with the lead guitarist, I have 3 1/2 days to improve myself in order to impress these guys into letting me in permanently, this band is gonna be big, so whats the recommended crash course in guitar learning?

Re: I have 4 days

Dude, there is no snake oil or magic dust with playing guitar. What you put into it is what you get out of it. How you practice will make or break you.

You aren't going to magically improve in 3.5 days.

Guitar is a plateau instrument, meaning you will stay at the same level for a while, then suddenly break through to another place, and start the whole process over (at least that is what it is like for me).

Another thing, is you can never stop improving, or more importantly, want to stop improving.

Case in point, Randy Rhoads found a private teacher in every town Ozzy gigged in to learn something different, and he was always driving himself to improve.

Good luck [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

well, its not like I started playing yesterday, its just that after 5 years my playing is good, but not on the level and I only need a few things to improve, mostly fluididty, so any quick tips from anyone?

Comment

Sorry I replied...you know all oh great guitar master you....I'll go to my corner now [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

I only have 26 years playing experience tho [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] I don't know nuffin [img]graemlins/refuse.gif[/img]

Comment

i didnt try to discount your advice, actually I found the fact about randy interesting, however it sounded like you thought I had only been playing for a few days, I just wanted to clarify things a bit thats all, all of this anger floating around forums these days [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

desmauler,

Depends on what you already know, what style music this band plays and what solos your doing. Without that info it's hard to help but I'll try...

For one thing there are no crash courses for "lead" guitar that I know of, not anything you could do in 3-4 days anyway. Courses like "Speed Mechanics" and others take many months, even up to a year to complete depending on how much time you can devote to them. You really don't have the kind of time needed to learn something new and pull it off in 3 1/2 days.

As an experienced guitarist and soloist the best advise I can give you is this: Work on improving what you already know and can play during the time you have, maybe learn one of your solos and definitely get the TAB for all of them. Playing one of the solos at practice should show the band your taking them seriously.

Playing solos is more about technique and feeling than technical genius, taking the scales you already know and twisting them to fit within a songs melody. If you can't do some licks exactly as they are in a song, put in a similar lick to replace it until you can play the right one. Only other musicians in the crowd will know the difference most of the time. Sometimes the lick you do sounds better than the original, I've had that happen to me once or twice.

If you don't know any scales at all look for the Pentatonic or blues scale, the Major and Minor scale including their extented versions for a start. They'll get you through most playing situations alone. Just do a web search and you should find those and the TAB for your solos.

Good luck,
            Joe

Comment

thanks, just needed quick advice for what to do with my remaining days, sounds good so off I go, thanks

Comment

Stewmac sell this magic potion for guitarists, it's called... nah sorry bout that [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Take a look at Rusty Cooley's instructionals. As far as technique goes, he's the god of the gods. On his CD "shred guitar manifesto" his "legato workout" has substantially improved my left-hand fluidity in a matter of weeks. i doubt having them shipped to you in less than 3 days, tho.
                "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Originally posted by delt:
                  Stewmac sell this magic potion for guitarists, it's called... nah sorry bout that [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Take a look at Rusty Cooley's instructionals. As far as technique goes, he's the god of the gods. On his CD "shred guitar manifesto" his "legato workout" has substantially improved my left-hand fluidity in a matter of weeks. i doubt having them shipped to you in less than 3 days, tho.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I have his first insructional CD. Unless you're already a PRO shredder, Rusty Cooley's lessons are IMPOSSIBLE to master within 3 days. And most of his lessons take time to develope, rushing yourself will only hurt yourself.

Fong

Comment

still, he fukkin rules... !!!!!
                    "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                    The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Working...
                    X