Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rapid fire machine gun slingin'

one trick i never copped, god forbid i make one
    up on my own [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] , was a really wicked steve stevens trick that has got me wanting to pick up
    a guitar again for the first time in what seems like 20 years. in "rebel yell" at the end of his solo, he does a wicked whammy whacker that sounds like a fuckin' blazing tommy gun. anybody know how to do this. it sounds like he is shakin' the hell out of the bar while he is hitting his pickup viciously with his pick.anybody know how to rip this off correctly?
    twisteramps? diablo? splatter? sully? anyone?
    hey ,it's just a lick, but it's got me wanting to play and this could possibly ease a currently broken spirit. maybe this is a prosthetic-lol
    thanks [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Not helping the situation since 1965!

Re: rapid fire machine gun slingin\'

that does sound like an old video game weapon firing or something.. he does it in the middle of his solo, and at the end. no idea how to do that, sounds studio-rearranged.
    "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
    The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

> I have a live,unplugged version of Rebel Yell,and I wondered how he was gonna pull that off,thinking it was some trem effect,along with a Lexicon digital delay. He pulled it off,without the trem however. He's basically hitting "junk" notes,semi-harmonic overtones produced by running your fret hand over the low E string,starting at about the 15-17th fret,moving down to the 12th or so,very rapidly WITHOUT fretting it,and pick freely,giving a sort of "surf" sound,like that Dick Dale tune on the Pulp Fiction soundtrack. This will sound like crap without getting the overtone from pressing the string over the natural harmonics at the 17,15,and 12th fret. I guess you could actually fret the notes,making a sort of single string "run" out of it,the key to reproducing his sound on the original is the timing of the effects. Tommy D.
      "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

you can also slack your strings with the floyd, and push your G string into your bridge pickup with your left hand while you slowly bring the guitar back to pitch. It does that 'ray gun' thing without any pedals.

Pete

Comment

i've never been big on effects. thanks dude.
          thanks to you tommy d. too.

Comment

There is actually an old Guitar World article that was reviewing his gear.. it showed his MIDI pedalboard, which had a setting called "Ray Gun" as well as a few other unique names...
            I believe it is a combination of his technique (as Tommy Davidson stated above) and FX settings....

Comment

The Ray Gun effect is done with a delay pedal. I have the setting in my quadaverb in my somewhere.
              www.kiddhavok.com
              www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Comment

yeah, after my other post and listening more closely to it i was thinking about a mono delay with feedback set to 100% ...
                "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

delt,
                  deal it. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

can you do it?

Comment

if so, i'd love to hear it in the MP3 section.
                    post it!!!!
                    skidd, twister, go for it.

Comment

the infamous raygun effect... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ...the effect in question was done using a lexicon pcm41 or 42...these were the only two effects processors that had a setting he referred to as "octave jump" (he never siad what the actual preset name was...)what this effect does i have no idea, but he has stated on several occasions in interviews that this is what he used in billy idol...when i saw him in vince neil...god you're never gonna believe this...he actually had a toy raygun that he would hold next to the pickups of his guitar...that's how he achieved the sound live...as for the string slack floyd method?...it does work...i've known it for years [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ...but it's not quite the same as his...d.m.
                      http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

I thought he always used the toy raygun to do that! Sorta like Paul Gilbert uses the drill. If anyone knows how to set a delay to do that, please tell me, I'd love to know!

Comment

I remember reading in an old article that he had the sound mechanism from an actual toy raygun built into a guitar and he activated it using a button on his guitar.

Comment

Working...
                          X