Smoke & Mirrors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoke & Mirrors

I need to get fast and clean enough to play it. Moreso playing clean an advance practice tips that could maybe accelerate my elarning of it. Playing it clean once again is my bigger problem. I know practice practice practice but just wondering if there are any good tips out there. That intro kills me
    I keep the bible in a pool of blood
    So that none of its lies can affect me

Re: Smoke & Mirrors

Yeah - the opening riff has some tough stuff. The hard thing for me was nailing that weird off-count/double-time slur at the end of the main riff. Oh, and that fast legato bit at the end of the third riff. And the funky-feeling pinky-based fourth riff....
    [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Fretting-hand: Relax and be sure to stretch/warm-up first. The legato trill is way-fast - if your cold or tight, you'll fall behind immediately.

Picking hand: Practice palm muting, alternating even and odd patterns. 5 fast, 2 double-time, 3 fast, 4 double-time. Do it to a metronome set to the double-time speed.
    750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
    Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Are you talking about Smoke and Mirrors by Symphony X ???

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Are you talking about Smoke and Mirrors by Symphony X ???

[/ QUOTE ]Yep. Well, at least I was...
        [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
        750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
        Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Yes th symph X song. Man I am so far from playing this... need to rpactice more

Thanks for the tips NOR that was just what I was looking for
          I keep the bible in a pool of blood
          So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Working...
          X