Tones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tones

How can you tell the "tone" of a piece? I think that it's the chord, that the song "rests" but I'm not quite sure. Could anyone explain?
    I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

In this case I believe 'tone' refers to the attitude i.e. angry, sad,moody,dark,light etc etc. just listen if the music doesn't tell you the lyrics will.

Comment

Well, the tone refers to the tone of the tone

I mean, people say "this chord progression is in E major" or "we're improvising in F minor" and things like that. That's the "tone" thing that I'm asking about.

Comment

So you are looking for the Root Note.

Comment

Yup, what Slash said; it's called root note. In english, "tone" is not the same thing as "note" - whereas in other languages, the same word is often used for both.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
            Yup, what Slash said; it's called root note. In english, "tone" is not the same thing as "note" - whereas in other languages, the same word is often used for both.

Well, in a Frank Gambale video, he was referring to it as tones, so I thought it would be right.

So, how can the root note be found?

Comment

The root note is the note that the song is centered around.

If a song is in F# Major, then the root note is F#, root chord is F# Major. It can be found by listening to the song (or section of a song) and choosing the note that sounds most like a resting point.
              Scott

Comment

In English, what "key" the song is in is often referred to as the "tonal center" of the song. IMO, "root note" is used specifically when talking about chords (for which there could be many in a song, obviously).
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

Originally posted by SeventhSon View Post
                  In English, what "key" the song is in is often referred to as the "tonal center" of the song. IMO, "root note" is used specifically when talking about chords (for which there could be many in a song, obviously).

That's what I thought so.

Comment

Alright, I got the whole concept. All by myself

Thanks anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X