Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Books. "How to write a solo"? Is there one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IMO a solo is not a collection of licks that fit together. A solo is something that needs to be written beforehand, whether that's on paper a few days before or in your head a few seconds before, that's up to you. It definitely needs to be planned and have a structure to it. Otherwise it will just be random noodly junk that no one will remember when it's over.

How to write one? Follow these easy steps:

1. Melody
    2. Phrasing
    3. Melody
    4. Melody and Phrasing
    5. Embellishments
    Scott

Comment

Now define 'melody' and 'phrasing' and your post will mean something =P

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
        Now define 'melody' and 'phrasing' and your post will mean something =P
        Scott

Comment

it's cool to know theory and whatnot but it still has to come outside of you without following some book as a roadmap... creating a solo (or a song, riff, composition etc.) is an art not science
          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
            it's cool to know theory and whatnot but it still has to come outside of you without following some book as a roadmap... creating a solo (or a song, riff, composition etc.) is an art not science
            + a billion!
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Try this:

Come up with a riff, figure out the progression and apply that to your soloing. The notes that give a solo a sense of direction are the notes on the beat, and the first/last notes. (Modulation is also a nice trick). Pay attention to intervals and don't be afraid to experiment. Power chords are neither major/minor, so almost any note sounds good. (I think b2, b6 are the exception). Other than that, I agree with that Endrik said.
              Last edited by anuske9; 02-15-2008, 02:55 PM.
              -Adam

Comment

Learn the various techniques of solo playing, sliding, bending, legato, (I would say tapping, but I just dont dig it personally) picking, etc. Of course, knowing the key youre in is a good starting point. From there, I usually can already hear at least a general "flow" that I would approach it with. Dont discount "licks", but try to stay away from the cliched ones... unless thats what youre going for of course. And for the love of all things musical, dont hesitate to try things that you cannot play on the first try. Stretch your boundaries, make it a challenge at least somewhat.

Get a basic outline, and refine, refine, and once again, refine. Just remember, some of the most important notes in music, are the ones you dont play.
                www.myspace.com/madeaband
                www.garageband.com/artist/madea

Comment

Working...
                X