worried about taking lessons.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• worried about taking lessons.

one of my friends are taking lessons from this guy and he seems to be very technically skilled. but i am worried that he might turn me into robot without soul and musical feel.

what do you think, check him out:

Get the FREE shred guitar program The Secret Of Playing Fast here: http://thesecretsofshredguitar.com/free-lessons.php

Get the FREE shred guitar program The Secret Of Playing Fast here: http://thesecretsofshredguitar.com/free-lessons.php
    Guitars:
    Jackson USA Shannon Soloist (blk)
    Jackson USA Custom Shop SL2H white/Silver Ghost Flames
    Bernie Rico Jr. Hybrid Vixen (blk)
    BC Rich NJ Gunslinger

Amp:
    ENGL Powerball -> ENGL Pro Cab 4*12(V30's)

That guy is insane...
    Anyway, you still need some technique to make music. The better your technique, the better (or easier) you can express yourself. Go for it

Comment

Well being a good musician or being a robot is all in your mind imo. It's about how you use your technique I'd say (only judging by those 2 videos) that guy wouldn't add much to you in terms of soul and musical feel but you can always improve them yourself which is the better way to do it imo..
      Check my bands!
      www.myspace.com/magicktr
      www.myspace.com/sinif64
      www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

The only way you'll turn into a robot is if you allow yourself to.

I think that it is better to take lessons from somebody that has a high level of technique than to take them from somebody that doesn't. You not want to play like that but he can definitely offer pointers on legato and picking techniques.

I say go for it.

Comment

If that's playing like a robot then SIGN ME UP!!!

I love to get lessons from this guy.... except for the fact that I'm on the other side of the planet.

Go for it

Comment

Tech can be learn by yourself...but the guidance and little pointers as well as the ideas/inspiration that comes is good.

However looking at those clips it's all pretty boring...but there are so cool licks and you can get and work off...

I say yea...go for it
            Jason Becker / Paul Gilbert Wannabe

Comment

I think his videos were meant to impress. I also think that he doesn't start his lessons there. It looks like he has a good understanding scales. I would take a few lessons and see how you feel.
              Just one more guitar!

Comment

I heard nothing new actually, although the video is to impress these are just warm up methods used in any advanced course.

If you know everything in Lick Library Aerobics dvd 2 you can do all this blind., not saying this guy is not a good guitar teacher but if i where him ide rather put something for variable on my youtube videos for teaching like Satriani did where he shows shapes instead of just speed etc.

Satriani talks about some advices on how warming up before a session

Comment

if you become a robot that's your own fault...

perhaps he can help you with technique so you can play certain things easier and have more precision... also break down things wich were mind boggling to you before.

you can learn something from anyone... I've never had lessons but I think it's a good idea to take lessons from many different people... technique from this guys.... theory from someone who has a degree in jazz and classical music... phrasing, expression, writing etc. from someone who is a band-guy and more focused in blues, rock, pop etc.
                  "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                    if you become a robot that's your own fault...

perhaps he can help you with technique so you can play certain things easier and have more precision... also break down things wich were mind boggling to you before.

you can learn something from anyone... I've never had lessons but I think it's a good idea to take lessons from many different people... technique from this guys.... theory from someone who has a degree in jazz and classical music... phrasing, expression, writing etc. from someone who is a band-guy and more focused in blues, rock, pop etc.
                    That's the best advice that you're going to get.

I was a guitar teacher for most of the 90's. Although I had a regimen that I stuck to fairly closely, I also let students who had an interest in learning songs have a little fun. I would take whatever they were interested in and break it down into a personalized lessons by explaining why things worked... what scales, modes, etc were used and how they interacted with the chords, structure, and melody of the song. It was a great way to hold a student's interest rather than force feeding them classroom style.

Comment

do not sign up for lessons unless you know what you want to get back from them. if you want to learn technique, scales, songs, whatever. Tell the instructor ahead of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Blazphemer View Post
                        one of my friends are taking lessons from this guy and he seems to be very technically skilled. but i am worried that he might turn me into robot without soul and musical feel.

what do you think, check him out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N4LT3E7J54&NR=1

Try not to pick up his horrible Danish accent

Comment

it is what you make it. you should never be afraid of taking lessons though. technique is a good thing in alot of ways. once you learn to play properly you should then learn to make it your own. just hacking at it on your own can do worse than make you an uneducated player. you can actually hurt yourself through things like carpal tunnel and tendinitis.

Comment

Well, from the first video I wouldn't learn improvising from that guy, but he can certainly teach you about scales and technique.

My general view on lessons (for anything from cooking to golf) is that there are 2 ways to approach them. One is as a beginner and you are then forced to follow the instructor's method. Second is as someone who knows what they want and you will quickly find out if you found the right person to teach you. Either way, there is nothing to be afraid of and you'll know quickly if he is the right teacher for you.

Just a few cents more than 2...

Comment

There are only 2 ways to express real human emotion with an electric guitar:

1. Stock blues licks while making John Mayer faces

2. Noodling on an out of tune Jazzmaster

Anything else is just "Masturbation" just ask any profesional music critic!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X