Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do all guitarist cheat except for Al Dimeola?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Newc;1093111]If your Hammer-Ons and Pull-Offs are sounding like Triplets, that's got nothing to do with Alternate Picking vs Hammer/Pull. That's your own phrasing technique. You can get an even flow with either method.

QUOTE]

Sure, definitly you can get a more even flow, I try to work on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post

There's nothing wrong with an analytical approach to playng, but none of those are cheats, or "bad technique", or any other negative term.

Yeah, I shouldn't have phrased it that way, I don't want to call people cheaters, especially when I do it myself!!!!!

I used to believe that, but I've accepted the guitar is not a perfect instument and I enjoy playing "guitaristic" things, and take advantage of it's quirks.

Comment

Besides what the other guys have said music is all about sound. You can't get certain sounds unless you use certain techniques.

Try picking a legato passage, or Reb Beach's "Black Magic" or Eruption.

Nuff said.
        PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
          ..Very nice!!!

But Ed never did it with his pud. It is something I've been doin' for 20+ years now. I did it a couple times live and the people love it. Except the time I entered Guitarmageddon. Everything was going great..I had 1st place in the bag (pun). I was in a zone and it happened! The Dark Marsupial was unleashed and in fine form..fully engorged. All hell broke loose. The cops came..kids crying..people giving me the finger..they pulled the plug. ..disqualified!
          LOL!

Comment

I spent a long period of time, delving into Al...great stuff...but really,
            Shawn Lane could slap that smile off of Al's face ! Heck that Mexican
            fat dude on Youtube is possibly the fastest most impressive player ive
            ever seen! R.I.P. Shawn...you were a brilliant musician...and 30%
            faster than Al ever thought about playing imo
            Hell..."A Night in San Francisco"...shows that Paco De Lucia
            is faster and more of a fretboard monster than Mr. DiMeola..
            Last edited by Robert Burns; 05-06-2008, 09:18 PM.

Comment

and yet, I quite enjoy Al's music and Lane puts me to sleep. I guess speed isn't everything.
              Hail yesterday

Comment

+1
                It's not about speed.
                Als' playing is more about rythmn and melody, he is a percussionist after all, and his arrangements are more than just guitar, listen to Kiss my Axe.
                Shawns playing is in the outer stratospere and completely insane, he does some amazing shit, but it doesn't do much for me.
                I don't care for Powers of Ten honestly, i never listen to it.

+1 The "mexican fat dude" is teh shredmaster, i hate him.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
                  I spent a long period of time, delving into Al...great stuff...but really,
                  Shawn Lane could slap that smile off of Al's face ! Heck that Mexican
                  fat dude on Youtube is possibly the fastest most impressive player ive
                  ever seen! R.I.P. Shawn...you were a brilliant musician...and 30%
                  faster than Al ever thought about playing imo
                  Hell..."A Night in San Francisco"...shows that Paco De Lucia
                  is faster and more of a fretboard monster than Mr. DiMeola..
                  umm.... are you talking about music or sports? I can't tell....
                  there's plenty of players who can go faster than Shawn Lane and that fat Hombre.... who the fuck cares... seriously
                  the fastest player I've ever seen was some old black dude in James Brown band... he played fast only once... rest of the time he played songs

slap that smile off of Al's face.... please!!! that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard... Shawn had a very gentle touch while Al's attack and playing style is ridiculously aggressive... I bet you couldn't hear Shawn if he would have played together with Al on the same stage... it's like putting some uber fast legato shredder against Gary Moore

I remember Mike said that B.B King with his 3 note solos wiped floor with super technical George Benson when he saw them play together

and why compare Al with Paco? Flamenco is totally another level of playing wich requires decades of practicing
                  Last edited by Endrik; 05-07-2008, 01:55 AM.
                  "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Ace is GOD!!!
                    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Jack The Riffer View Post
                      Those aren't short cuts...They are techniques.
                      Exactly. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Trem View Post
                        Dude, Al Dimeola could Slap Eddie Van Halen with his pud send him flying into Chuck Norris, splitting his skull, and creating a BlackHole sucking exsistence as we know it into the Superunknown, where there we would find Chris Cornel still alive! but going hungry.
                        funny but so untrue
                        Al gave us muting but eddie gave us EVERYTHING ELSE!
                        If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

Al Di Meola is probably one of the most influential electric guitarists there has been and will ever be.

Eddie gave us little. He popularized tapping, but other than that his leads were pretty one-dimensional. Eddie's rhythm playing was what made him shine. A very freeform, rubato kind of rhythm playing in a ROCK setting.
                          You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Originally posted by GodOfRhythm View Post
                            Eddie gave us little. .

please tell me you are kidding?
                            the guy was more influential than jimi
                            everyone and their mothers copped his shit
                            remember we are talking ROCK guitar not fusion
                            If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

Originally posted by GodOfRhythm View Post
                              his leads were pretty one-dimensional.
                              :ROTF:
                              yeah you are right "push comes to shove" "outta love"
                              and many more were very one dimensional

dude you dont know what the fuck you are talking about
                              oh wait a minute i forgot you are the 20 year old expert
                              Last edited by savage; 07-16-2008, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by savage View Post
                                :ROTF:
                                yeah you are right "push comes to shove" "outta love"
                                and many more were very one dimensional

dude you dont know what the fuck you are talking about
                                oh wait a minute i forgot you are the 20 year old expert
                                Push comes to shove, I hear the half step thing, pretty fusiony. I fail to see what's innovative about it. I never said he wasn't influential.

I guess I have to watch what I say on an EVH and RR fanboy forum, I'm sorry.
                                Last edited by GodOfRhythm; 07-16-2008, 09:03 AM.
                                You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Working...
                                X