If only I had seen this years ago...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If only I had seen this years ago...

Both of the professional guitar teachers I had in the past would always tell me to keep my thumb perpendicular to the neck of the guitar. They also both told me that other guitarists judge you by your technique and if they see you with your thumb hanging over the neck they know you don't know proper technique.

I just watched this and look after the 1:03 at how that thumb is all over the neck of the guitar.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Nuff said.
    Last edited by cookiemonster2; 07-08-2008, 11:50 PM.

There really is no proper technique for electric guitar.

Comment

One look at the picking hand of George Lynch, or Marty Friedman, tell You all about hos "right" their technique is. If it sounds good, it is good - only rule in my book.
      - Andi Kravljaca -

Comment

How effortless does Wes look? Just glides over the strings.

having other guitarists judge me for the position of my thumb is the least of my worries. I'm more concerned with trying not to make a complete ass of myself.
        Hail yesterday

Comment

Wrapping your thumb around the neck can be useful for either hitting notes on the low E or just muting it.

The only bad technique is one that prevents you from making the music you want. Technique is only a means to an end.
          Last edited by Matt_B; 07-10-2008, 05:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_B View Post
            The only bad technique is one that prevents you from making the music you want.
            Well said. You're really smart!
            - Andi Kravljaca -

Comment

Originally posted by cookiemonster2 View Post
              Both of the professional guitar teachers I had in the past would always tell me to keep my thumb perpendicular to the neck of the guitar. They also both told me that other guitarists judge you by your technique and if they see you with your thumb hanging over the neck they know you don't know proper technique.

I just watched this and look after the 1:03 at how that thumb is all over the neck of the guitar.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Nuff said.

Tell us their names, so we may ridicule them publicly.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Common subject. Whatever works. The only issue with any technique is if over time it causes you repetitive motion injuries - which I know some guys that have gotten these.

I have heard advice to practice scales once in a while using no thumb pressure. I think this may be good advice. Too much thumb pressure over time may contribute to injuries. And certain positions may lend themselves more or less to different amounts of thumb pressure for some players.

All depends upon the player though.
                PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Thats what happeds when people learn guitar by them selfs... and thats just fine. It's not the educated way to play but thats just fine, most of the great players are like that.

Besides Marty and Lynch, just look at how Geddy Lee plays....
                  '87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
                  '81 Kramer Pacer Standard
                  custom made Les Paul
                  VOX Tonelab LE
                  Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!
                  ADA MP1
                  BBE 422A
                  Lexicon MPX-G2
                  ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
                  Support Your Local 81

Comment

Paul Gilbert has his thumb over his neck all the time.

I'd love for your teachers to criticize him for it.
                    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Watch some Hendrix And SRV videos you'll see them use their thumbs on the neck a lot. Jimi did most of the time.

Comment

I know lots of rock and blues players have their thumb over the neck. I picked this video to make my point because this is THE jazz guitar player and it's the jazz guys who can be snobby about technique. (and classical too)

Comment

I don't think there's anything wrong with haveing your thumb across the back of the neck if you have the fingers for it. Whatever works, like everyone has said. Great clip of Wes though, the guy is so in the pocket it's insane
                          Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

It's not just that he has his thumb wrapped around the neck, sometimes it is almost parallel to the neck on the back. I'm just saying his thumb travels a lot and I was taught to keep my thumb perpendicular to the neck on the back except when leverage was needed for a bend.

I had heard of Wes Montgomery before, but never really listened to anything he did until about 6 months ago. Now I understand why some people are so fanatical about jazz.

Comment

Also helps to have a 5" long THUMB!
                              Also proves you have to use a pick to get a clean
                              sound right? Amazing...still one of the greats of all time
                              Last edited by Robert Burns; 07-12-2008, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X