Experienced guys gimme tips on rehearsals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experienced guys gimme tips on rehearsals

I've just joined my first band - I've waited too long to do this (I'm 31), but we had our first rehearsal on Sunday and it went very well considering I'd never met the singer, and only met the drummer once before. We're just playing some general rock songs by bands like Motorhead, Aerosmith, presidents of the USA (not my choice but they work well), AC/DC, Zep etc.

Anyway, we're going to be using a proper rehearsal studio to work on songs and I'm just wondering if any of you guys have any general tips to impart to me, as a lead guitarist, on how to get the most out of using the studio?

I don't know exactly what I mean, but just things that might crop up that I should know. Simple stuff, like where best to stand in relation to the amp when playing even.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

If they tell ya you're too loud, tell 'em it's only rock n' roll! Or as they did in Deep Purple, just turn everything louder than everything else. No, seriously, volume can be a big deal, especially if the singer feels like he can't be heard above the band. Be conscious of your volume in relation to everyone else. Guitars should be prominent, but not to the point that you block out the others. The sound directly in front of your amp (if you stand right at it) is going to be slightly different than the sound 10 feet away. So move around, stand near the others, and soundcheck yourself. They'll love you for it, and you'll play and sound better.
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Nothing specific to being in a studio or being lead guitarist but...

Always have a plan going into the rehearsal, like what songs you're going to work on, which bits needed work from last time, and stick to that schedule. Resist the urge to noodle away on covers. Listen to the whole group and don't be afraid to make suggestions to improve the songs.
      Scott

Comment

Thanks guys! Good stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
          Nothing specific to being in a studio or being lead guitarist but...

Always have a plan going into the rehearsal, like what songs you're going to work on, which bits needed work from last time, and stick to that schedule. Resist the urge to noodle away on covers. Listen to the whole group and don't be afraid to make suggestions to improve the songs.
          Great advice, and me personally I need to hear the drums through my monitor...keeps me from speeding up

Comment

Originally posted by daisp View Post
            Great advice, and me personally I need to hear the drums through my monitor...keeps me from speeding up
            Same here.
            I don't listen to vocals or even the other guitar.
            I take all my queues from the drummer and bass player when it comes to keeping the tempo.

But do go in with an agreed upon agenda of what is going to be rehearsed.
            If it's a writing session, make sure you don't dominate the session. Listen to the other guys input... it may be painful sometimes, but it makes for a better band.
            -Rick

Comment

Try to keep practices closed and girlfriends away (hard to do). That's what shows are for, alcohol and females are distractions at rehearsal and you get less done.
              www.JerryRobison.com
              '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Comment

Show up..
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Only bring gear that is 100% functional. If you have anything (amp, guitar, cable, pedals, etc) that you have to say "hopefully it will work this time", leave it behind no matter what it is or how integral it is to your sound.

Also, no matter how much you love your sound, your sound has to mesh with the rest of the band. While a scooped-mids tone sounds crushing in your bedroom, it will get buried quickly when everyone else starts playing.

If you and the other guitarist are using knee-high combos, do not stand directly in front of your amp, as all you'll hear is his, and you'll turn yours up louder, which will drown his out if he's standing in front of his.
                  You stand in front of his amp, and have him stand in front of yours.

Or, set them on chairs or otherwise angle them back so the sound goes up and not across.

You might also want to set everything up like on stage rather than in a circle facing each other.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Show up half an hour late. The drummer will anyway, so you might as well not stand around fuming.

I kid, I kid.
                    This electric phase ain't no teenage craze -UFO

Comment

Are you guys just going to do covers or write originals?
                      What goals does this band have?
                      Is it just for fun or serious?

Ask yourself these questions and it's a good idea to see where the other band members heads are at.

If it's for fun, then invite girlfriends and party. If it's serious, then you got alotta' hard work to do and you gotta get your priorities straightened out.

Is someone in the band percieved as the leader? You definitely need one. He doesn't have to be an anal drill sergeant. Just someone that can take charge.

The band needs a direction. A look. A sound. A style. That all will come with time, but it's a good idea to discuss it amongst yourselves.

As far as rehearsal? What I just mentioned will affect how, when, where, why and how often you guys rehearse.

It might not be as much fun, but rehearsing at insane levels is, well...insane! Guitars being a little bit louder is more forgiving, but if the bassist is too loud, it ruins the whole thing. Tame those wild bass players.

I would recommend setting up as you would on stage. That way, you familiarize yourself with who's around you and how you can move about. That's including the vocal monitors, which would be on the floor and to the sides facing the band. The guitar/bass/keyboard amps, obviously facing out towards the front of the stage. If you guys have a drum riser, then use it in rehearsals. Room allowing, that is.

It's a good idea to record your rehearsals as well. That way you can get a listeners perspective and change things or point out certain aspects of the song. Plus it's always cool to listen to yourself play!
                      I can go on, but that's it for now.

Once again;
                      Serious or fun.
                      G.

Comment

Whether serious or for fun, if the rehearsal space is time-based like a studio, you do not want to bring girlfriends and other non-band-members or "party". Find a house out in the country for that. If money is being put out for the space, don't drag in a bunch of excess baggage like that. It looks really bad on you, being the new guy and all.

If the other guys bring theirs, I'd wait and see how they act. If the girls are whining or the other guys are not focusing on the music because of the girls, then you can bet it's just going to be a hang-out-and-party thing. If that's what you're after, fine, but when the bassist brought his to a rehearsal, he would put his bass down after EVERY SONG to go sit with her. After that, we had a rule that no one brought their women to the rehearsals unless absolutely necessary, and they stayed up front with the drummer's wife and out of the practice room.

Listen first, speak last. Older musicians usually don't have the attitudes that teenagers do, but it's always best to be prudent in unfamiliar surroundings.

As for general musicianship and how the band functions, see who's following whom. Though many suggest the drums and bass set the pace, such is not always true. My drummer used to pipe my guitar through his personal monitor since the singer wasn't as even-handed in his rhythms or vocal lines as my rhythms were, and we never did find a good bassist.

Above all, have fun.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by petedz View Post
                          Show up half an hour late. The drummer will anyway, so you might as well not stand around fuming.

I kid, I kid.
                          And the singer won't show up at all!
                          www.JerryRobison.com
                          '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Comment

Originally posted by Partial @ Marshall View Post
                            And the singer won't show up at all!
                            Yep. :ROTF:
                            This electric phase ain't no teenage craze -UFO

Comment

We're not serious, in terms of ever being famous. I'm 31, have a baby, and no time to get overly serious. That said, I'm serious about playing whatever we do well. I'm spending my spare minutes learning the solos for stuff like Enter Sandman and Ace of Spades, so I expect the other band members to spend time getting their parts right too.

It's just covers for now, although we'll likely do our own songs later which I'll probably write.

As for women being around - my wife has ZERO interest in what I do, probably anyone married will know WTF I'm talking about!

Comment

Working...
                              X