Posture, Seating, Etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Posture, Seating, Etc.

Tried a couple of searches but didn't seem to turn up much, so apologies in advance if this is a topic that's been beaten to death.

Anyway, just curious: do you practice standing or seated? Do you work on keeping a good posture? I always play seated because the sciatica in my left leg gets bad if I stand for too long. I have a tendency to hunch over, too.

Anybody have any recommendations for guitar stools or practice chairs, etc? I looked around a bit on the net and a lot of the products didn't strike me as being all that comfortable (like a lot of bar stool style stuff, with a rung around the lower portion instead of a foot rest surface). I use an old office chair (without arms) which is far from ideal.

It's also occurred to me that this is one of those posts you write when you're old. Sigh.

I try to practice standing up, but many times I'll sit (getting older )

And yes, I hunch over, but then I've done that since 4th grade (I was the tallest kid in class, teacher made me slump down so I wouldn't tower over the other kids - thanks for 30 years of back trouble, ignorant cow).

Unfortunately, playing guitar sitting down does not conform to the idealogy of ergonomics, so you'll have to figure out what works best for you.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

when I practice sitting down I'll rest the guitar on my left leg (vs. the right as most players) I feel more comformtable that way ,espicially for scales and speed picking - however 85% of the time standing
      I feel that posture is very important to be aware of - long term sloppy habits can lead to different injuries.
      When I'm sitting I use a regular bar stool .
      hope this helps
      Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

If I'm noodling around on my Pod, then I sit cross-legged on my bed (well, technically it's just a mattress on the floor) so I'm a bit hunched over then. When I'm playing through my amp I stand up, because when I do go through the amp I'm normally using a load of pedals or playing along to songs.

I don't really keep an eye on my posture, if I'm uncomfortable I move, but apart from that I don't bother.
        Why so serious?

Comment

I practice standing 95% of the time. Sure it's easier to play sitting, but I don't sit on stage.

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
            I practice standing 95% of the time. Sure it's easier to play sitting, but I don't sit on stage.
            +1

Comment

Thanks all for getting back!

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
                Since I haven't been on a stage in years, it doesn't matter to me

Though I do prefer to stand to play. When I sit I find I'm raising my right shoulder and then come away with muscle strain. As well, my right leg goes to sleep on me
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Learn to do both, play sitting down and standing up.
                  Unless, someone has medical reason/s for correct posture while sitting, they are thinking way too much about it.
                  Last edited by Soap; 08-04-2008, 05:50 AM.
                  Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post

Though I do prefer to stand to play. When I sit I find I'm raising my right shoulder and then come away with muscle strain. As well, my right leg goes to sleep on me
                    yeah mine does that too. If I play sitting down I have to get up every couple of minutes anyway - might as well just stand up in the first place!

Comment

I prefer to sit down. I get too tired standing up. I'm getting old before my time.
                      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I position my guitar while sitting and adjust my strap snug. Then whenI stand up my guitar is still in the same place on my body.

Comment

I mostly practice standing up also.

Comment

I always lay down while practicing or jamming..its more comforatble this way!!
                            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

if you have back problems (i do) and want not to aggravate it, play in the "classical" position...sit on a straight backed chair, and if you are right handed player then raise your left leg with something underneath it (maybe a small tool or box)...this is the best 'healthy' position....
                              However, i've found out (IMO) that this style often prevents me to really DIG in into my playing and be expressive or emotional...i've seen that my bends, vibrato becomes a bit robotic...so what i do is combine the two postures...if my back starts to hurt i go back to the classical position. May be you can try it too.
                              hope this helps.
                              Ashique M. Fahim
                              Instrumental Rock Guitarist/Singer/Songwriter

www.facebook.com/iamfahim
                              www.myspace.com/amfahim
                              www.reverbnation.com/ashiquemfahim
                              www.youtube.com/kalapoka666

Comment

Working...
                              X