Tools for practicing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tools for practicing...

I decided it was time to move my technique a bit further...

These are my tools these days:

- A notebook to write down my progression and take note
    - http://www.metronomeonline.com/
    - A cool timer: http://www.online-stopwatch.com/
    - A bunch of exercises collected over the years (including that Stetina mechanics book)
    - And a guitar!

So what do you do on your side?
    JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
    Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Pretty much the same. Got a Korg metronome, the Stetina book and some other exercises. I sometimes take notes right in the Stetina book.

Comment

i have my mp3 player , i put on rust in peace and i play along with the whole album,
      repeat with racer x and steve vai albums
      Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
      Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

Hmm...I just set the metronome going and run through some scales, arpeggios, and other exercises that I've collected in my head over the years from various books and videos. When I get bored of that, I'll put on an album and play along.
        Scott

Comment

I've been dying to get some good exercises for lead playing. My leadplaying has been pretty bad and left behind for years. I've searched my ass off on the internet for good exercises and they're all crap. I'm dying to get working on some metalsolo's and scales and all that. Is that Stetina book a good one? Is it the 'Speed Mechanics For Lead Guitar' book? I hope that's a good one I can order the thing and get started. Keep in mind I have almost no solo experience whatsoever, only rhythmplaying and a bit of easy starter metalsolo's.
          Last edited by BeëlzeM; 09-23-2008, 03:40 PM.

Comment

I've found the lessons on www.cyberfret.com very useful. Go through their scales and arpeggio lessons. Just remember that you're not going to be whipping out Loomis solos in a week. You have to start small and build up.
            Scott

Comment

I play whatever the hell I want to at the time, guitar playing is fun and sticking to a regimented practice routine turns it into a chore. My way has served me bloody well and I see no reason to change.
              Why so serious?

Comment

adjustable wrench, screw driver, hammer and etc.
                Have fun on your quest.
                Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

yes, you are all tools for practicing. Practice will turn you into another faceless shredder. You can say more with one note than a thousand. Of course, if you don't practice, that one note will be shit too!
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                    yes, you are all tools for practicing. Practice will turn you into another faceless shredder. You can say more with one note than a thousand. Of course, if you don't practice, that one note will be shit too!
                    Jeez G, you're on fire today.
                    "Dear Dr. Bill,
                    I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Hey BeëlzeM, don't spend any money.

Cyberfret posted above looks cool and www.ibreathemusic.com isn't bad either. Check out the articles by this guy:

The one named "workout part 1, 2 and 3" will keep ya busy for years! And it's free. Just print it!
                      JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                      Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

I like those Petrucci Rock Discipline lessons.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mitch View Post
                          I like those Petrucci Rock Discipline lessons.
                          Totally! Some great warm-ups on that video. The rest of it is really aimed at someone who's more advanced imo.
                          Scott

Comment

A pick ?

Comment

I like Intelli-Shred as well as the Stetina books/CD's.
                              Kevin Dillard has a more rounded approach...doesn't just stick
                              to the same old scales and modes.

Think Vai.

Comment

Working...
                              X