Tools for practicing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
    I like Intelli-Shred as well as the Stetina books/CD's.
    Kevin Dillard has a more rounded approach...doesn't just stick
    to the same old scales and modes.

Think Vai.
    IntelliShred’s mobile shredding services bring the process straight to you. This allows you to witness the shredding yourself for greater peace of mind.

They seem nice, but what does it have to do with guitar?
    Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
      http://www.intellishredus.com/

They seem nice, but what does it have to do with guitar?
      Funny!!!!

More that site: http://www.myspace.com/intellishred
      JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
      Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Try this:

Comment

Hey guys! Thanks for the kind words and for the interest in "Intelli-Shred".. working on new book projects for 2009, so my internet surfing is limited..BUT.. if ANYONE has any kind of question.. please feel free to shoot me a line through my e-mail or myspace and I'll do my best to help with any guitar/technique kind of thing that I possibly can.
          DiMarzio Endorsee
          www.dimarzio.com
          Morley Endorsee
          www.morley.com
          "Intelli-Shred" author
          www.myspace.com/intellishred
          NEW BOOK OUT! "ARPEGGIO MADNESS

Comment

take it from someone who has spent his early years trying to shred and what not - practicing too many hours with a metronome and strict scales and patterns MIGHT get you into a very non-emotive style of playing (something like buckethead or similar). However, you SHOULD practice with metronome. But also include jamming, free form playing and spending more time doing whatever if FUN for you musically. (Example - playing chords for hours, string bending for hours etc) - make your practice session FUN and not WORK...and you'll keep coming back to it.
            Ashique M. Fahim
            Instrumental Rock Guitarist/Singer/Songwriter

www.facebook.com/iamfahim
            www.myspace.com/amfahim
            www.reverbnation.com/ashiquemfahim
            www.youtube.com/kalapoka666

Comment

I use a metronome,drum machine, Petruccis Rock Discipline, Frank Gambale's Speed picking book. Actually practicing like a maniac with That Frank Gambale book and a metronme I gave myself a bad case of tendinitis in the elbow. Got to be careful with that! Took a year to clear up.
              I also have about 100 hand written lessons from Greg Howe . That right there is a lifetime of practice material.
              What I've been doing lately is jamming with my sons Casio. You can set up a beat, throw in a rhythm track pick your key and just shred over it. i can easily practice in any key with any style rhythm. Of course the sound is a little cheesy but it makes it fun. Whens the last time you jammed with a salsa band?
              Last edited by broken_fusion; 12-18-2008, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Use something to record yourself. Fastest way to find out why and how you still suck.

Powertab (software) rocks for learning tunes quickly.
                This electric phase ain't no teenage craze -UFO

Comment

Originally posted by petedz View Post
                  Use something to record yourself. Fastest way to find out why and how you still suck.

It's true.

Powertabs is okay. TuxGuitar is also free and it plays both Powertabs and Guitar Pro files. Guitar Pro is still the best but it's like $100 which is dumb when you can get free software that does the same thing.
                  "Dear Dr. Bill,
                  I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

I use an iPod for learning licks and a drum machine instead of a metronome.
                    With a drum machine, you can learn different timing easier than with a metronome plus it's not the same old boring click click click.
                    -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by petedz View Post

That is Ralph Santolla's advice for bettering your guitar playing: record your practice sessions, because while a player's ears may "lie", recorders don't.

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                        I use an iPod for learning licks and a drum machine instead of a metronome.
                        With a drum machine, you can learn different timing easier than with a metronome plus it's not the same old boring click click click.

Same idea, but I use a boss micro br.
                        Tuner, amp effects, recording, and mp3 playback with slowdown and editing capabilities all in 1 little box the size of a stack of note cards.

One more thing I use lately is netflix. They have a lot of instructional DVDs in the catalog.
                        Last edited by Flatpicker; 02-02-2009, 12:46 PM.
                        Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

I use Guitar Pro, a Boss DB-60 metronome, MP3s and the TV Seriously, I like playing along to anything I hear on TV. It keeps me on my toes.

Comment

Working...
                          X