Alternate picking Vs Economy alternate picking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
    but no one here is talking about fingerstyle. The entire discussion has been about picking, not plucking.

Tremolo picking, as a picking technique is alternating up and down, as it is the rapid sounding of a note. You can't economy pick a succession of the same note on the same string. The methodology described in blackendvampire's post is the same approach that Troy Stetina prescribes as a means to ensure that your picking technique at slower speeds is the same as your technique at your fastest.

Right, but Tremolo Picking as a technique goes hand-in-hand with a series of notes played in quick succession, but they don't necessarily have to be all on one string. You could have an 8-note pattern using 2 notes per string across 3 strings. In this case, do you apply both Alternate and Economy? Is that even possible? :think:

As for using only one technique, I find that to be limiting yourself, like a football team that has great Defense but no Offense because all they practice is Defense, or a team that has a great Passing game but because they never practice running the ball, they can't run the ball.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
      Right, but Tremolo Picking as a technique goes hand-in-hand with a series of notes played in quick succession, but they don't necessarily have to be all on one string. You could have an 8-note pattern using 2 notes per string across 3 strings. In this case, do you apply both Alternate and Economy? Is that even possible? :think:

As for using only one technique, I find that to be limiting yourself, like a football team that has great Defense but no Offense because all they practice is Defense, or a team that has a great Passing game but because they never practice running the ball, they can't run the ball.

Aha, your confused. When you go through a pattern or whatever, you should do it slowly and just alternate everything, then build it up until your tremelo picking, watch a paul gilbert video, thats what he does.

Also, I think some of you are getting a bit confused with the whole economy thing. I remember learning a triad practising technique for changing strings looked like

^=downstroke
      V=Upstroke

Dont know why I did them like that, but when you look at the tab it seems to work out better for the downstroke to be an up arrow... Im fucking insane.

-------------------------------------------------
      -----------------5---4------2---4---5---4---2---
      ---------------2---2------2---2--2----2---2-----
      -------------0---------0-------------------------
      **********^ ^ v^ V ^ ^ V ^ V^ V ^ V ^ V***

--------5--4---2---4---5---4--------------------
      ------2--2---2---2---2---2----------------------
      ----0-------------------------------0------------
      -------------------------------0-----------------
      ***^ ^V^V ^ V ^ V ^V ^ V ^ ****^*********
      Yeah this is the CHARVEL JACKSON Forums, so that riff is fairly apropriate if any of you catch it.

Yeah that one you are alternating between two strings constantly, and you should use economy picking to do so, the trick is to pick outside the strings, eventually it feels like your just picking one string once you get the hang of it, at least for me it does, and I never hit the wrong string, I can do it in string skipping with 2 strings in between, at tremelo speed.
      www.myspace.com/memnochband
      www.myspace.com/thefairyprincesses

Comment

Working...
      X