No announcement yet.

What pick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd stick with the standard size and shape for now and just get a couple different brands and sizes. Like some Fender mediums and heavies, Dunlop Tortex pink and green, and maybe one of those nylon picks (don't know the brand, but they're gray).

Personally, I preferred lighter picks for rhythm, but as I got into playing more leads I switched to a heavier pick. Also, I've found that the thicker the strings are, the thicker the pick needs to be to get the same feel.
    Scott

Comment

Dunlop Jazz III's FTW

Comment

Originally posted by Ben... View Post
        The tiny red Jazz III!!!! It makes sliced bread look like crap.
        Ben , stop hating on the bread(sliced that is) !!!
        I use .88 dunlop tortex (green) for most playing rythym and lead , however if I'm playing reggae or ska styles I switch to red tortex.Dunlop does offer some mix bags ,however you'd probalbly do better visiting your local music store !!!
        From picks to pedals and every accessory in between, Dunlop Manufacturing has been creating world-class gear for musicians for over 50 years. We consistently create the best selling picks and analog electronics, and carry a large line of accessories that set industry standards in their respective fields. We have a long list of legendary and modern-day superstars who all share a passion for our gear. Whether it’s pushing new innovations with our string line, or tweaking classic sounds with our vintage pedals, there is a dedication to music at the heart of everything we create.

Merry Christmass to all
        Jay
        Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

I have to agree with Biff as that is what I did when I first started playing. Also, as your playing progresses you develop your own style that usually calls for modfications in the types of pics that you use. I have gone through many kinds over the years and have found that the Dunlop Tortex is the best match for my style. I basically play everything from BTO to Metallica and have found it to work very well. Altough some of the older rythm stuff I use a heavier pick. Anyway..Biff=good. :-)
          Yesterday is history; tomorrow is a mystery; but today is a gift; that's why it is called the present.

Comment

I've been a Tortex .88 player for most of my guitar playing life - my fav color is green. Boy is that a bad way to determine what pic to use.

Anyway, I've recently switched to the black Dunlop Jazz III's. These really work well for me. It took a couple of hours to get used to the smaller size, but once I did, I really liked the feel, the accuracy and the responce i get from the pic.

My advise - buy a bunch of different styles and guages and play play play until you find the one you dig.
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by jdr94 View Post
              i like the nose pick and the butt pick no but seriously i use the small green dunlop pics. try em all, you'll find the one thats best for ya

Tortex .88 here for ever also
              "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
              --floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by excumagrind View Post
                Man I didnt even know dunlop made picks that thick,if you like lots and lots of grip you guys should check out some snarling dogs, little pricey but worth it for the quality. they make em up to a 1.5
                Was going to try those...almost like sandpaper on the grip end, right? You use them and like them?

Comment

Oh, and in case you were wondering, my favorite drum stick is an Easton in 5A if that helps anyone

Comment

Originally posted by MarkThomas View Post
                    Oh, and in case you were wondering, my favorite drum stick is an Easton in 5A if that helps anyone

mine are Vic 5b !!!
                    Hey for something a little differen't here , here's my lame kit !!!

So as a drummer (mainly (you))what kind of kit are you smackin' ?

Comment

Originally posted by Jayster View Post
                      Ben , stop hating on the bread(sliced that is) !!!
                      I use .88 dunlop tortex (green) for most playing rythym and lead , however if I'm playing reggae or ska styles I switch to red tortex.Dunlop does offer some mix bags ,however you'd probalbly do better visiting your local music store !!!
                      From picks to pedals and every accessory in between, Dunlop Manufacturing has been creating world-class gear for musicians for over 50 years. We consistently create the best selling picks and analog electronics, and carry a large line of accessories that set industry standards in their respective fields. We have a long list of legendary and modern-day superstars who all share a passion for our gear. Whether it’s pushing new innovations with our string line, or tweaking classic sounds with our vintage pedals, there is a dedication to music at the heart of everything we create.

Merry Christmass to all
                      Jay
                      Sliced bread's amazing, it just doesn't stand up to the awesomeness of the Jazz III though.

Merry Christmas to you too.
                      "Dear Dr. Bill,
                      I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Get some to try...I've had 6 separate moments where I was like "this is it, the pick that I will use for the rest of my life.." in like 2 years of playing.

Now I use Dunlop Sharp 1.35mm.
                        Jason Becker / Paul Gilbert Wannabe

Comment

Green tortex. I used jazz 3's for 10 years and found that a bigger pick is easier to handle when you have chubby fingers like me
                          I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by XxKilgannonxX View Post
                            I've had 6 separate moments where I was like "this is it, the pick that I will use for the rest of my life.." .
                            Oh yeah - that happens forever with everything - guitars, amps, strings.... good god - straplocks - I've been a Schaller man for years, and now I'm thinking about Dunlops... crazy.
                            -------------------------
                            Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                              I've been a Schaller man for years, and now I'm thinking about Dunlops... crazy.
                              That's not crazy I prefer Dunlops.

Comment

Originally posted by Jayster View Post
                                mine are Vic 5b !!!
                                Hey for something a little differen't here , here's my lame kit !!!

So as a drummer (mainly (you))what kind of kit are you smackin' ?
                                Played Pearl's back in the day, but currently on a 5-piece no-name kit (Titan Drums) that is 5-ply Maple...sound great. I am thinking of scoring a set of Rock Club Gretsch's, but my wife would kill me

Comment

Working...
                                X