No announcement yet.

What pick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use a lot of differents picks! Gator are good, pickboy too, but my fave are "Jackou", it's new and it's french, actually you can't find it in U.S.A, but maybe soon or if you contact Jackou himself on www.jackou.com
    his picks have a very little magnetic coin into the top of the pick, and so you can "stick" it on your hardware or any metallic parts of your guitar, it's pretty cool for people like me, I always get off my picks and loos it.

Comment

wow that seem likes a pretty cool idea
      Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
      Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

it's exactly what i've think when i've seen that on a french magasine !

Comment

Here's some input from my point of view and whatever experience i have.

-Nylon picks are brighter and snappier.
          Put more emphasis to the bass and treble on your EQ, and youve got good, clear riffy tone that's articulate. Whether you choose to scoop the mids or add some extra, is upto you. Results will vary quite a bit with nylons. More treble with some mids will give you more sparkle, but its upto your guitar to decide how this will turn out. It may very well be that it wont work out, depending on your pups. Also, if you've got very warm pickups, nylon will be a good material to bring out the highs. Like with any pick material combined with different electronics, woods and amps, it may take some fiddling with those EQ controls.
          I recommend the planet waves Satch picks. Medium gauge is good for most purposes. I've got some left over from well over a year ago, they're all deformed from my fingers and worn out, but they play as well as anything. Quite durable.

-Celluloid picks are warmer sounding.
          They're what I use most for 98% of the time. They got a lot of mids naturally. At least from what came from my amp. However, as warm as they are, they are very "sparkly", and have a completely different sound when a string is attacked, when compared to just about any other pick. Some of the most responsive stuff I've ever played. The dynamics you can achieve with these things is really astounding. You can make them as warm or as snappy, bright and loud as you want, but it all depends to your picking. I have my mids all the way up, with treble at 3 o'clock and bass at 10:30. From there, I can make them very warm with my neck pup, or really bright and beefy with the bridge. All thanks to the pick. I highly recommend these. Try Dunlop's Celluloid Classics. I use heavies. Don't pick scrape them too much near the playing tip, as they get caught on the strings with slightly more resistance when there's grooves in them. Each pick lasts months, literally.

-Jazz Picks
          Jazz 3s is what I really checked out from that line. Used them for months and theyre really precise. They are very stiff picks, are durable and come in Nylon and Stiffo Nylon. Nylons are red and are slightly brighter, Stiffos are black and made of a tougher plastic, so they last longer and sound darker. I used either. Both picks, despite being nylon, are quite dark sounding. You'd like to get the highs a little higher on the eq, and maybe some mids to even the volume a bit. Very nice picks. Some people say that they're not the best choice for strumming, but I tend to disagree. However, you will grind your fingers up a bit until you get used to their small size. Dunlop manufactures those.

-Stubby picks. Dunlop designs these. One of the best picks I've ever used. I know I used either a heavy, or a medium before. Take a half hour or so to get used to these, because they are a completely different type of animal. They're thicker than your average picks, and are heavily rounded, but you've no idea how smooth they feel. Mid-filled as far as I remember, so they're very smooth sounding, also the rounded edges make for a smoother (sounding) ride as well . Highly recommended. One word of caution though: -they are eaten up by the bass strings REALLY quickly. The round tip gets rounded off even more, making single notes slightly more difficult to play. Expect it to feel like new for 2-4 days, after that. it will begin to feel a bit iffy. Riffing on the low strings is unaffected though, and these badboys never warp, either!

I wouldn't say that made all that much sense, so ask if there's anthing at all!
          Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
          Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

some animals were kilt in the making of these picks.
            Last edited by j4vice; 12-17-2008, 08:18 PM.
            JvicE

Comment

Jeez, I tried using a non-Jazz III today; it didn't work out so well. I'm so used to the Jazz III that I choked up on the pick so much that only a tiny bit was visible. I felt like a fish out of water so I went back to my Jazz III's and all's good.
              "Dear Dr. Bill,
              I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

bye
                Last edited by j4vice; 12-19-2008, 10:11 PM.
                JvicE

Comment

Red Jazz III's!!!!!

I hate the finish on the Black Jazz III's, the Red's are so smooth :P
                  USA Jackson RR1
                  Charvel Model 6
                  Jackson Performer-2
                  Orange Dark Terror
                  EVH 5150 LBX
                  Hello Senòr

Comment

"for aggressive playing"
                    "POOP"

Comment

Originally posted by AussieTerry84 View Post
                      Red Jazz III's!!!!!

I hate the finish on the Black Jazz III's, the Red's are so smooth :P
                      I'm with you. The black ones just don't feel right.
                      "Dear Dr. Bill,
                      I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

I use black Jim Dunlop 1mm pics (though I'm sure colour doesn't matter ) Having said that I've been known to use 13 gague strings due to being heavy handed, so what do I know? lol
                        Gear: Charvel Model 3, Marshall Reverb 30, Fender Squier Telecaster, Digitech GNX-1, GHS Boomers and a whole lot of Dunlop picks.... Oh, and a Hohner Harmonica - key of A

Comment

I just switched a couple of weeks ago to the Dunlop Stubby 3mm smalls. I cannot believe the difference between these and a standard shaped pick. I doubt I will use anything else from now on.
                          Remember, Wherever you go,.. there you are

Comment

Originally posted by MarkThomas View Post
                            Need suggestions for a pick. I am very much a beginner and 99.9% of my playing is of a rhythm nature...no leads =] From what I have read, and what I have experienced, it would seem a thinner pick would be best for me, but how thin? What material? What brand?

Going to go and get a double-stand and some picks tomorrow, so any and all help is appreciated...thanks!
                            after trying every pick in production (i think), and a few that may not be in production anymore, i have settled on the dunlop .96mm 'gator grip'. i like the tension of a heavier pick, and i don't like it when they fly out of my fingers if i should sweat. they make them heavier, but they were just a bit too much, and the lighter ones bend, so for me it was the perfect balance of control and feel.
                            198? Charvel Model 2B s/n 245085
                            1987 Charvel Model 6 s/n C707218
                            2001 SL2H Black Pearl s/n U09404
                            2006 SL2HT Burnt Cherry Sunburst s/n U18151
                            2008 USA C/S Soloist Soft Arch Carved Top Tiger Eye JA0510
                            2009 Adrian Smith Dinky s/n 006666 (Ebony Fretboard)
                            2009 Adrian Smith Dinky s/n 007066 (Maple Freboard)

Comment

Originally posted by Ripley7t View Post
                              I just switched a couple of weeks ago to the Dunlop Stubby 3mm smalls. I cannot believe the difference between these and a standard shaped pick. I doubt I will use anything else from now on.
                              Stubbies are quite cool if you wanna use alot of pinch harmonics, so that's something to consider!
                              Gear: Charvel Model 3, Marshall Reverb 30, Fender Squier Telecaster, Digitech GNX-1, GHS Boomers and a whole lot of Dunlop picks.... Oh, and a Hohner Harmonica - key of A

Comment

Originally posted by drixll View Post
                                after trying every pick in production (i think), and a few that may not be in production anymore, i have settled on the dunlop .96mm 'gator grip'. i like the tension of a heavier pick, and i don't like it when they fly out of my fingers if i should sweat. they make them heavier, but they were just a bit too much, and the lighter ones bend, so for me it was the perfect balance of control and feel.
                                I also love the .96mm Gator Grip. The only other pick I really like is the red heavy Dunlop Gel pick, I think it's like 1.0mm. And I'll use the yellow extra-heavy when playing bass.

I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                                X