Help me put an end to the suck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Gank. For what it's worth, here's my (brief)story:

I started playing Bass at 12, then moved to guitar at 14. I'm self-taught, can't really read music very well, and (luckily) have a good ear and sense of rythm/timing. I bought a book called "The guitar case chord book" and "the guitar case book of scales" I don't know if they are still available, so I'll have a look around for you.

Basically, I leaned all the basic scales in Major and Minor, and that gave me some idea of notes that could be used in solos on those keys.

I went to college and studied the Certificate in Jazz and Popular Music, and also a Diploma in Popular Music, which really helped me with my scales, but I have now reached a point where no matter how hard I try, I cannot inmprove my picking and fretting speed, and playing anything faster than the solo from Megadeth's Sweating Bullets is WAY beyond me, but my philosiphy is that a solo should be played from the heart, and certainly not with as many notes in it as possible, so go with what feels right. As for covering other guitarists solo's, there's always gonna be someone out there who can fret-wa*k faster than you!

Hope this helps, even if only a little
    Gear: Charvel Model 3, Marshall Reverb 30, Fender Squier Telecaster, Digitech GNX-1, GHS Boomers and a whole lot of Dunlop picks.... Oh, and a Hohner Harmonica - key of A

Comment

Originally posted by Jayster View Post
      Any of the Paul Gilbert videos are quite eye opening !!! My favorite video I've not been able to find since early 90's , it was done by Vinnie Moore - excellent video ,I'll try to find online link !!

ok here's the info - but good luck finding them !!!
      I have both of those video's on my computer, they're excellent and Vinnie has a great description of Modes in one of the videos.
      Originally posted by horns666
      The only thing I choke during sex is, my chicken..especially when I wanna glaze my wife's buns.

Comment

Gank brother- everyone has given you some excellent advice here. Just stick with it and it will come to you. I don't know if your in a band , but if you're not , get yourself a bass player and drummer and start rockin' out. Just start jamming and you'll realize you don't suck as much as you perceive yourself to. Just step up to the plate and show some swagger and confidence and let it rip. You say you've got a good ear, that is an asset right there. Just find your strong points and your weak points and work'em over.

Comment

Originally posted by triplehold View Post
          Gank brother- everyone has given you some excellent advice here. Just stick with it and it will come to you. I don't know if your in a band , but if you're not , get yourself a bass player and drummer and start rockin' out. Just start jamming and you'll realize you don't suck as much as you perceive yourself to. Just step up to the plate and show some swagger and confidence and let it rip. You say you've got a good ear, that is an asset right there. Just find your strong points and your weak points and work'em over.
          I couldn't agree more!
          Gear: Charvel Model 3, Marshall Reverb 30, Fender Squier Telecaster, Digitech GNX-1, GHS Boomers and a whole lot of Dunlop picks.... Oh, and a Hohner Harmonica - key of A

Comment

Working...
          X