Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the deal with having a rubberband or whatever on your fingers while playing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the deal with having a rubberband or whatever on your fingers while playing?

What's the deal with the players Phil Demmel having a rubberband type thing around their fingers when they play?

I can't help but think that it must be rather uncomfortable to play like that. Is there some sort of benefit to it? Like does it increase strength or speed or what's the deal?:think:

Does he put it over the strings when he does tapping parts? To help mute the strings? That's the only thing I can think of.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

maybe it helps control fly-away fingers
      Hail yesterday

Comment

He uses it as a reminder that he needs to have a drink between songs.
        hehe
        Actually, that's the first time I've ever seen that.
        Probably does it so we have threads like this.
        "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
        --floydkramer

Comment

It's weird as shit. At first, I thought he may have had a hand injury and a therapist was trying to limit his ROM. The more I look at it, I think it's for his hair.
          "POOP"

Comment

it's "hey girls, I like bandaging"
            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

It appears to be restricting his movement, as he's fretting 2 frets away and having to use his pinky, and barely making it.

Looks like he's in pain too.

Must be just awful.

"I'm so good, I have to use artificial means in order to make playing more difficult. Otherwise, guitarists in the audience will totally hate me and we won't sell any CD's."

Last edited by nhspike; 12-21-2008, 08:36 AM. Reason: learning to spell! yippie!
              "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
              --floydkramer

Comment

Bowflex for guitarists!
                The Guitars:
                Jackson USA SL2H, Jackson Performer PS-4, Gibson Les Paul Studio Gothic, Ibanez JS-1000, B.C. Rich Mockingbird ST, Martin GPCPA5 Acoustic, 14 Warmoth customs, Ibanez Artcore AS73, Ibanez Prestige SR1000EFM Bass
                The Amps:
                Peavey JSX 212 with JSX 412 cabinet, Ampeg B2R with Ampeg Portaflex PF210HE cabinet

Comment

Originally posted by SEEGERMANY View Post
                  ... The more I look at it, I think it's for his hair.
                  my first thought, too (I always put them "somewhere" and never find one, when I need one)
                  uva uvam vivendo varia fit

Comment

I'm not sure about the rubber band, but dosn't Kirk Hammet tape his fingers between the knuckle and first joint ? I'm positive I've seen pictures of this.

Medical benifit, superstition or drug use? I've got no idea. Very interesting though, hehehehehe how many of you guys are looking for a rubber band, to see what the effect is ?

Jay
                    Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Maybe he's trying to make his fingers stronger and is using that as resistance?
                      "Dear Dr. Bill,
                      I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

He probably put it there randomly during a show and played the set of his life and when it goes down like that the compulsive get all kinds of crazy habits. I have a couple... good times!

That Demmel V is sick... because it has no sharkies:ROTF:

Comment

i honestly looks like a hair-tie.

Comment

photoshop?

Comment

Maybe superstition or something. I have a fellow range instructor that shows up every day with a ring of duct tape around the second joint of the ring finger of his support hand. Never asked him why though.
                              Scott
                              Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X