Tools for writing...drums ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tools for writing...drums ?

Just wondered what you guys use in the way of computer drums to help songwriting?

Here's the deal....I normally jam with our drummer and bassist to write, which has been very productive over the years, but happens less and less due to other committments (work...). I've played with various drum machines but end up spending more time programming the damn things than playing guitar.

A few years back, I went round a mate's home studio and he had some software on his PC that was very intuitive and let me knock up a basic song in minutes using pre-set patterns, can't remember what was is though. I've downloaded various software demos off the web but they're usually too complex / take too much time to learn.

The key for me is time - work and kids mean that every moment I get for music is precious, so I'd like to find something that will help inspire my writing by letting me setup some basic patterns, but not take an age to learn.

Cheers
    Daz

I use BFD 2, it's a lot easier to navigate than BFD 1.5 was (for me anyway, though I did spend more time with the presets than actual editing).

BFD 2 uses a Cakewalk-style editing interface where you click on the point where you want a given drum piece.

Honestly though I still use my SR16 for patterns and have BFD do the sounds, or I'll write them in GuitarPro and then load the MIDI file into BFD. The preset patterns in BFD aren't inspiring to me, at least not as much as the SR16 patterns. There's tons to choose from, but frankly I just don't "feel" them like I do the SR16's presets. The SR16 patterns have a bit of a groove to them. The BFD patterns seem like they were bashed out by a session drummer who was not being paid very much and had to work quickly.

Maybe it's just me, though.

I did try Drums From Hell and didn't like it. I could hear the kit rattling. I've recorded my ex drummer's kit in his bedroom without noise gates and such - just mics into the mixer - and never once did I hear his tom supports or his kick pedal or any other piece of hardware rattle.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I use something really simple for practice: Acoustica Beatcraft. It's really simple to set up and use.

Comment

I use BFD2 and a combination of Guitar Pro as well.
        http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Newc, years ago I was about to buy a used drum machine and got talked into buying the "band in a box 9 Pro" Have you or anyone you know ever used this software successfully? After reading this I got the disk out and loaded it again. (I formatted a year ago) It still seems like a turd.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
            Honestly though I still use my SR16 for patterns and have BFD do the sounds, or I'll write them in GuitarPro and then load the MIDI file into BFD. The preset patterns in BFD aren't inspiring to me, at least not as much as the SR16 patterns. There's tons to choose from, but frankly I just don't "feel" them like I do the SR16's presets. The SR16 patterns have a bit of a groove to them.
            Wow, I know what you mean about the SR16, I used one about 10 years ago to do a couple of demos, a mate recorded a whole album with it when the drummer wasn't available.....the cover said Drums by Al Esis I might have to get my hands on one of those, I went for the Zoom 234 at the time and frankly it wasn't in the same class.

javert - thanks for recommending Beatcraft, just downloaded it and seems to be just what I'm after. Do you know of any sample songs / patterns to get me started, or is it a case of just making up your own?

Comment

This one ain't bad either:

And it can export to MIDI...
              JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
              Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Originally posted by darrellm View Post
                javert - thanks for recommending Beatcraft, just downloaded it and seems to be just what I'm after. Do you know of any sample songs / patterns to get me started, or is it a case of just making up your own?
                Hey, sorry man, didn't see you posted this. I just made some myself--not that they are any good. I think you can also buy some better samples online.

Comment

I use Addictive Drums, and sequence them in Cubase. Really convincing stuff!

Comment

I use Drumkit From Hell Superior, which takes some time to program of course (but I look at writing drum parts as being just as exciting as writing guitar parts so I don't understand wanting to rush it)...but they have another product called EZ drummer which comes with all sorts of premade midi for different drum beats / fills / etc. that you can just drop into a track and after a little piecing together you're ready to go.

Comment

I either use my Yamaha keyboard or Cakewalk.... tohugh Cakewalk took me about 2 months to learn to use efficiently
                      Gear: Charvel Model 3, Marshall Reverb 30, Fender Squier Telecaster, Digitech GNX-1, GHS Boomers and a whole lot of Dunlop picks.... Oh, and a Hohner Harmonica - key of A

Comment

Working...
                      X