• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try out REAPER
    It is great
    Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

See the post right above yours. $50 for non-commercial/Personal Use Only = No Sale.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
        This sort of thing I strongly disagree with - charging extra for commercial use? So I can record my stuff all day long but if I want to burn it to a CD and sell it I gotta send them extra?

Or if I want to use it in a studio where I charge people to record their tracks I gotta pay extra? I don't think so.
        From the Reaper website:

Fair Pricing
        There is only one version of REAPER. We offer two licenses, depending on how you use it.

$225: full commercial license.
        $60: discounted license.

You may use the discounted license if any of the following is true:

• You are an individual, using REAPER only for personal use.
        • You are an individual or business, using REAPER for commercial use, and the yearly gross revenue does not exceed USD $20,000.
        • You are an educational or non-profit organization.

Personally, I think that sounds pretty reasonable.

So... even if you run a small scale recording studio business, you can still just buy the discounted license. And if you are fortunate enough to be running a full scale professional studio churning out records... then you pay just a little bit more to support the software developer.

I've downloaded my evaluation copy of Reaper 3.0, which was just released I think last week, pretty cool program.

- Leo.

Comment

I had it for free, the full version and I am using it..
          I guess they want it payed now ...
          Damn economic crisis
          :S
          Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

Audition doesn't have those limitations, or the high price. I understand the software developer wants to make money, but you either set one price or you offer a "Home" version that has limits on track numbers and limited support of VST/DX plugins and a "Pro" version for a higher price that has full functionality, but don't try to tell people "if you're getting rich off my software, I want more money". It simply does not work that way.

That's why every other software company has multiple offerings: Adobe has Photoshop for Professional imaging (editing, creation, and full-scale professional printing) and Photoshop Elements (putting Sarah Palin's head on a better body, etc) for goofing off.

Was it written in an application that has the same license limits? "You can make your own software and stuff but if you sell it for more than $xx you owe us money?"

I doubt it.
            Last edited by Newc; 05-25-2009, 05:10 PM.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

I just downloaded a trial version of Mixcraft.
              Mixcraft is the renowned digital audio workstation for Windows from Acoustica, designed for musicians by musicians. With its unique combination of ease of use and professional features at an irresistible price, Mixcraft has been a favorite among music enthusiasts and professionals since its introduction in 2004. Mixcra...

Comment

Audition doesn't have those limitations, or the high price.
                Adobe Audition is US$349 http://www.adobe.com/products/audition/

Reaper doesn't have any limitation either. The evaluation copy you download already IS the full program... no limitations, no restrictions, full functionality as the commercial license.

Basically they are giving the whole program for you to try, and if you like it, they trust that you will purchase the individual license, or the commercial license, depending on your situation. The evaluation copy does not expire either... you can keep on using it until you feel guilty enough to buy it (not that I am recommending this to anyone)

I understand the software developer wants to make money, but you either set one price or you offer a "Home" version that has limits on track numbers and limited support of VST/DX plugins and a "Pro" version for a higher price that has full functionality, but don't try to tell people "if you're getting rich off my software, I want more money". It simply does not work that way.
                I hear you, and that's certainly a valid way of looking at it. Here is another perspective:

What you outlined is the conventional way of offering a tiered system of products for different types of users. The pros who want more functionality pay more for the full fledged flagship product... then there is the "pro-sumer" version which is watered down a bit for corresponding less money... then there is the entry level version with limited functionality but affordable.

I think what Reaper is trying to do here... and of course I am just basing it on what the company "feels" like so far from their website and the user forum... is that, rather than going with a traditional tiered approach where only those who can afford the flagship product can enjoy the most functionality, they are making the full set of functionality available to all users.

And at $60 for a "individual" license, I think that's a very good value, since Reaper 3.0 is so powerful and uses so little system resources... plus the very active support from the company founders + user forum... truly a good value. And there are no restrictions / limitations whatsoever placed on the individual license... same functionality as you would get for the commercial license. Heck, even the commercial license at $225 is cheaper than the entry level, or the mid-range level offerings of a lot of its competitors.

Given all that, I see it as the company really trying to go beyond "the call of duty" (ie: the minimum they need to do to keep up with the competition, and make as much profit as possible) and instead really try to give users the most bang for their buck.

Personally, if I were making serious money from music, and from using Reaper, I WOULD pay the commercial license of $225... even though I already have all the same functionalities at $60 ... because I want to support a company that IMO really tries to be considerate to its customers.

I can also see why some people would prefer the conventional tiered product approach, nothing wrong with that either... so not trying to convince anyone of anything... just want to provide another perspective

- Leo.
                Last edited by Leo Chang; 05-26-2009, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Audition's $350!?

No way (scurries off to check) - wow, $350. I've been doing the Upgrade thang for $99 since they bought up CoolEdit.

Comment

I bought a home PC studio from a friend with an Echo Mia soundcard, event 20/20 monitors, POD 2.0, all cables needed for hookup, has Cubase SX3 and tons of VST and other plugins. Unless you are experienced or looking to read manuals till you can't see straight, start with something easier. I'm semi-saavy with PC's but this shit is tough to figure out for a newbie. I just bought a Tascam US-122L, needed midi in/out for pod updates/customtones, and to use on my laptop while sitting/playing in livingroom. Got brand new off ebay cheap.. but it didn't have the Cubase LE I was hoping to try. So I just downloaded Audacity. There's even tutorials on youtube. Hope it works out easier than SX3.
                    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

I didnt feel like readin ALL of this because im in a hurry and have time for just one more post today, but i have the full blown reaper, i had a demo as well, and its very easy to use, but what i like as opposed to audacity which i also have is, that while the audio doesnt appear to be affected, the like sound waves appear to be going to slow and to fragmented when recording. That may be hard to understand, but hopefully someone can relate. What i mean is that reaper appears to be the faster running and more professional of the two.
                      I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.

Comment

Working...
                      X