Getting around to high frets on low strings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting around to high frets on low strings

I decided to put my technique under the microscope and realised that when I sweep pick with a slight stretch, I either completely skip, or hit whenver I actually decide to hit, the note that I'm going for.

It's fine and dandy slower but above 155 at sixteenths, it gets fucking annoying. I've only worried about how clean a sweep sounds, and been addicted to getting the motion to go faster and remain clean, and completely overlooked not being able to put my hand around the neck at higher registers. The problem arises at the 21st fret with my pinky. Keep in mind it's quite short, the pinky's last phalanx ends even before the last knuckle on the ring finger.

Any suggestions to increase my accuracy? I already slowed my practice tempo down to 150 and brought the strap up (tried bringing it down, and that surprisingly helped a tad.). Any help guys?
    Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
    Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

I don't think I'm following you. You mean that your pinky is a bit slow to move when there's a stretch involved?
    Scott

Comment

Sorry.
      It's not slow, it just doesn't reach the bottom two strings up high on the neck.
      Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
      Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

My pinky is like that too I just move my thumb lower on the back of the neck and try to keep my wrist straight if that makes sense?
        I have to stretch and work hard at it but it works

Comment

What you can try, is instead of stretching your pinky over from whatever fret your index finger is on over to the 21st fret, just "jump" over there, so your index finger actually comes off of the first fret you play. Of course it's going to be a very quick motion, but with practice, this could help you eliminate this problem you're having. I do it when I'm stretching wide intervals on high strings on the low frets, like 3h8 or 3h9 or something like that. My hand isn't large enough to stretch that, but if I fret the 3 first, then release my finger from the string, shoot up with my pinky to the 8/9, I can make it. Give it a go.

Comment

Working...
          X