Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm a pickin'...

So...

I have been doing something recently that I never would have guessed I'd be doing. Read on...

I jam with a couple of guys, and have been for the past several years. We always played mostly modern and alternative rock (foo fighters, green day, smashing pumpkins; not mysong selection, mind you...) and some classics (Kiss) and some left field tuff (Marily Manson).

We were in kind of a rut, but recently one of the guys and I became friends with the manager of a privately owned music store. He started joining us for some of our Pizza and Jam nights. Adding him to the mix has diversified our song selection a bit, as he likes AC/DC, southern rock, etc. Something else he threw into the mix was a Dwight Yoakum song called "Fast As You". I liked it as soon as I heard it, as it has a snappy blues progression to it. I learned the bass line and the guitar parts for it, and started working on the lead.

Now, country lead playing is a whole different beast from the stuff I normally play. Mark, the new guy we started jamming with, is a Berklee grad, and is fairly phenomanal at country stylings. He's from Texas, and used to jam with Eric Johnson. So he's got the chops.

Anyway, at our Jam on Friday night I told him that I wasn't going to pimp him for lessons, but I really wanted to spend about 15 minutes with him going over the lead that I learned for Fast As You.

We got done with our jam (I actually played bass and sang all night), and my buddies went upstairs and Mark gave me a 15 minute crash course in country lead playing. It was cool, because I speak music-theory lingo (modes, minor 3rd vs. Major 3rd, etc.), and it was the most enlightneing 15 minutes I've had in a while. It was such a time saver for me to have someone tell me the ins and outs of a particular style instead of me having to struggle through it on my own.

So, tonight while watching "The Unit" I grabbed my Tele and noodled on some country licks. Never in a million years would I imagine that I'd ever do that; but I've tried to be more open minded musically as of late, and it has been quite refreshing.

- E.
    Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Ya man.Those country guys F'in tear it up!!! Good for you!!!
    Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
    http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

That is really cool. You never have enough styles to draw from. It also breaks up stall points in one's playing. I've attempted country style leads. Those guys are on another planet. I have a music education behind me as well and understand modes, scales, etc. but, I have have a difficult time staying in the right mode.
      Yeah, they can really cook!
      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Well God help me, I work with a country music fan. He will be bringing in this album for me to listen to tomorrow, I've never been much of a country fan - but I'm going to check out this lead playing!
        Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

My wife listens to country. I think it's terrible, all of it. Bloody awful. But I did take her to see Tim McGraw and Faith Hill a couple of years ago. It wasn't fun, but I made the most of it since she's been to lots of concerts of music I like. I won't say some of them can't play some serious guitar though. They just play shit I don't want to listen to, lol.
          "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Jayster View Post
            Well God help me, I work with a country music fan. He will be bringing in this album for me to listen to tomorrow, I've never been much of a country fan - but I'm going to check out this lead playing!
            Cool. There's a lengthy solo section at the end of "Fast As You" that's worth listening too.

It's not super complex chickin' pickin' type of playing, just lots of double stop bends.

I'm about ready to head downstairs right now and work on some of it.

- E.
            Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

On first listen to "This Time" album, there are some changes that seem to go "into happy land"(I'm not a big theory type of guy, but maybe 'dorian'"). Anyhow I'm gonna spin it a few more times this weekend, and then decide how I feel about it.

AlexL ~ damn it I can't remember his name, not presley ..... a country cat had a hit a few years back(with some good chops).
              Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

LOL- Fast As You is the only Country song I have ever done, it's got a good groove to it............
                2008 Jackson DKMG Dinky
                2000 Jackson RR1 Neck Thru Lightning Sky
                1986 Charvel
                1990 Fender USA Strat
                2008 Gibson Les Paul Classic
                2001 Fender Stratacoustic
                2000 Alverez 12 string
                90's Applause Round Back

Comment

Originally posted by Jayster View Post
                  AlexL ~ damn it I can't remember his name, not presley ..... a country cat had a hit a few years back(with some good chops).
                  Brad Paisley?
                  I can actually enjoy that stuff when they stop singing (and put the pedal steel away)
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

here's my main man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2UF0...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37e21...eature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1vd8...eature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSUpJ...eature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjHj-...eature=channel
                    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

That's a cool little tune on the first video they start out with. Thanks for that
                      "We were sitting on the bus one day and there were 5 of us hanging out. There was only one beer left in the cooler and we actually all took a little cup and split it. It was a pathetic day in a rock and roll when five grown men have to be sitting there sharing a beer. "
                      Zakk Wylde

Comment

Working...
                      X