Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I came to the conclusion that I suck on guitar!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

+1 here too. I'm just lucky that I'm in a cover band so all I need to do is duplicate someone else's work. Still, as I'm learning a new song, I'll find myself just doodling. I need to focus more.
    www.godwentpunk.com
    www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

Gee, I wish I sucked so I could be a part of this club too...

Ok, in all honesty, you guys hit the exact thing I've been stewing over for the last three months...why is it I play so much but still suck.

I also gave up the guitar for a 13 year period before picking it up again about three years ago. (when I purchased my first Jackson!) I found it hard to get the (sloppy) techniques back because I broke the majority of my fingers after some hard core martial arts years. The limberness in my fingers is coming back, but not what it was. I do think I've grown more in the last three years musically however.

So, to get back to what helps, I've been dabbling with some blues lately to mix it up and keep it interesting. Playing rock and metal constantly gets a little old, but maybe because I'm getting older and my tastes are changing a bit.
      "Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant." - on the back of the business card for Bella the Pomeranian

The comments expressed here do not necessarily reflect the opinions of management.

Comment

IMO, I think I am a one notch over average guitarists, but I am definitely better then kids that go to my school who play guitar just for the benefits of looking cool and getting popular, they don't play for feeling and satisfaction. Anyway, before I practice I play each minor pentatonic scale all the way up to the 4th string, then do a 0 1 2 3 4 down all the strings all in alt. picking, just to warm up. Then I might try some 3 string sweep licks and a little improvising, but I think I am where I want to be.
        Is that a banana in your pants or are you just happy to see me?

Comment

Originally posted by Anatar View Post
          I love playing again, and have probably seen more progress in the last 9 months than I ever had back when I was younger- and I attribute this solely to my current approach. Instead of trying to learn a bunch of songs (never the entire song, nor very well played, btw), I focus instead on exercises and technique.

With a metronome and any scale I might know, I play the scale up and down the fretboard over and over and over, at varying speeds but with a general lean toward being faster and using proper alternate picking form. I'll also take a 10-15 note lick with some hammer-ons, pull-offs and a bend with alternate picking, and do the same lick up and down the fretboard over and over just like the scales.

By the time you're comfortable with several scales at speed, and your form with the various fret hand techniques is decent, throwing it all together seems to happen quite naturally. Additionally, learning new songs AFTER periods of these exercise sessions tends to be fast and more intuitive.

Just my two cents, hope people reclaim their mojo!
          A.
          Bingo. Somebody who gets it. Not too many people have your discipline - just like in many other things in life. If you really want to be good this is what you have to do. All the top players do this.

It is almost impossible to explain what gains are made when you take this approach to someone who for example thinks they don't need any theory and thinks practicing is a waste of time.

After doing years of this kind of thing the whole fretboard becomes as easy as writing. It all opens up. You don't need to think anymore and just go by your ears. You learn to mix and combine scales and various elements to come up with YOUR sound and YOUR style.

Way to go.
          PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Working...
          X