8 finger tapping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 finger tapping

Weell I saw somebody post a video of megadeth playing tornado of souls live and before it started Chris broderivk did an 8 finger tapping lick this made me remember I can't do that. I would really love to learn how to do that. How can I learn this technique are there any practice licks you guys know that can help me learn or possibly an instructional book or dvd that can help me learn.
    "Too bad Kurt didn't teach John how to aim a gun."
    Jackson Shred

"maybe i should do what madona does and adopt a little chineese kid and get them to knock up a couple of guitars for me" cookiemonster

Jeff Watson from Night Ranger is awesome at 8-finger tapping. I think he had an instructional video on it many years ago. From what I remember, he also played piano and basically just took that technique and applied it to his guitar playing.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Anything beyond seven fingers and its really just showing off.
      Jackson KV2
      Jackson KE1T
      Jackson KE1F
      Jackson SL1

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
        Jeff Watson from Night Ranger is awesome at 8-finger tapping. I think he had an instructional video on it many years ago. From what I remember, he also played piano and basically just took that technique and applied it to his guitar playing.
        Well looks like I'm buying a piano.... Alright maybe I'll just try to find that DVD
        8 finger tapping is amazing
        Jackson Shred

"maybe i should do what madona does and adopt a little chineese kid and get them to knock up a couple of guitars for me" cookiemonster

Comment

Originally posted by Larz View Post
          Anything beyond seven fingers and its really just showing off.
          I'd be fine with seven finger tapping too
          Jackson Shred

Comment

T.J. Helmerich is the king of this. You can go to Youtube and type his name and get a bunch of videos of him doing it.

I have no idea about instructional videos or books about it. I always thought it was just a flashy showoff thing to do until I saw this T.J. guy do it.

Jay.

Comment

Chris Broderick of Megadeth (ex Jag Panzer and Nevermore) playing a 5 octave two handed tapping arpeggio riff, one of three examples that was done for Guitar...

Wasn't this lick by any chance, was it?
              Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
              Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

Originally posted by Dred View Post
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkpZ645ztl0

Wasn't this lick by any chance, was it?
                Indeed it was
                Jackson Shred

Comment

Comment

I learned to do this on bass, but never on guitar. It was easier on bass because of the wider string spacing..I used to do it in my live solo.

I can adapt some of the same paterns and technique on guitar but it's just not as articulate. It actually sounds better with the gain backed off for me.
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

It's a technique I don't think is much use - if Megadeth go down the route of that sort of solo I think it'll be a bad move. I'm already wondering how much the 7 string guitar is going to fuck their sound up.
                      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Well On bass it can be used in a very musical "percussive" context. Much like a chapman stick, or even a piano. Stu Hamm did a lot of that as well in a song format.

That's why I never really practiced it on guitar because I really never found a practical use for it..other than sounding/looking kinda "cool"..

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by MartinBarre1 View Post
                          It's a technique I don't think is much use - if Megadeth go down the route of that sort of solo I think it'll be a bad move. I'm already wondering how much the 7 string guitar is going to fuck their sound up.
                          I don't think Chris uses the 7-string in Megadeth any more. At least I thought that's what I read not too long ago.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                            I don't think Chris uses the 7-string in Megadeth any more. At least I thought that's what I read not too long ago.
                            Really, man that had to be another adjustment. Hell I gotta look at that video and see..I didn't pay attention. He started playing 7 strings in Jag Panzer.

He's a HUGE Jeff Loomis fan..I know that!! That's who inspired him to go 7.

Comment

Heh. I just watched that other video posted here, and it appears he still is using the 7. I remember reading something about the producer and Mustaine said to him it would be wise to stick with 6 since chugging on the low E would be a bit of a pain in the ass with the B there in the way since they're tuned in standard. Either way, Chris fucking rocks!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X