Hand falling asleep while playing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
    Story of my life ..especially since my neck injury.

Years ago I developed carpal tunnel from playing "too much", I had a brace fitted for me. It was hard practicing with that brace on, but it keeps your hand from compressing that nerve at your wrist by your thumb. That did help!

That's prolly your prob..same symptoms.
    fess up Bill, you got CP from playing with "your pud" too much, not guitar
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Screwed up both of my wrists with too much guitar, and too much martial arts... so now with either... I make sure I take a break as soon as I detect any unnecessary tension in my wrists.

So 30 minutes, then a few minutes break, then play for another 45 minutes... then a few minutes break...etc.

Also been doing a lot of wrist / grip strengthening exercises, and they help quite a bit too.

But yeah... go see your doctor first and see what he says.

- Leo.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
        fess up Bill, you got CP from playing with "your pud" too much, not guitar
        Actually, many say jerggin' it when your hand falls asleep feels like someone else is doing it..that's not true!
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Could be carpal tunnel, or possibly thoracic outlet syndrome/brachial plexus syndrome depending on your overall playing posture. If your head or shoulders are fall forward out of good posture, over time this can put pressure on your brachial plexus (a large nerve bundle that supplies your arm that is located between your collarbone and first rib) thus causing parsthesia(tingling and numbness). If you're playing a lot of intense material or tend to watch your fretting hand alot when you play, this is a consideration. This is fairly easy to treat with postural re-education exercise and stretching. Carpal tunnel is fairly common, but many cases thoracic outlet/brachial plexus syndrome is overlooked. I treat for this in the clinic I work in frequently.
          My hair is on fire!!!!!My hair is on fire!!!!!!
          Marshall 2205, 6100, 6100LM, JMP-1, EL84 20/20, VHT 2/50/2, Marshall 1960A & B cabs, '79 Strat, '84 Pacer, '98 Wolfgang, '08 Charvel San Dimas x 3.

Comment

Working...
          X